2021 BS Base - Brake Pedal Play

MGM

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco Sport
Hello...new BS Base owner here, have had the vehicle for about a week.

I notice a minor amount of play in the Brake pedal when you first tap them after the system is at rest (the brakes feel perfect when engaged, and stop great). It feels like a "click" on your foot (like the kind you get when you tap the home button on an iphone with your finger). Subsequent braking in the same stopping event does not have the issue. After driving more, the play will be noticeable again on first tap of the brakes. I would say that the play is at most 1/4"....just enough to be annoying.

I'm theorizing that this is setup this way to allow for heating of the brake fluid. First tap is when some pressure is out of the system, subsequent taps have no play (or click feel).

Anyone experienced this with their BS? Many thanks in advance for replies.
Sponsored

Black Horse

Outer Banks
First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco Sport, 2009 F250, 1999 Mustang Cobra
More than likely just additional pad travel after the vehicle sits for a while. The pads/caliper pistons (on most vehicles) can retract a bit after everything is powered off.

Reactions: MGM
OP
OP

MGM

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco Sport
I know that strange things happen with automobiles....but the brake pedal issue simply vanished yesterday. Now the pedal feel is perfectly normal.

The vehicle now has 1100 miles after a long trip this week. Only other variable I can think of is that where we drove to it was 15 degrees colder on average (60's) temperature changes from where we live (75 degrees), South FL to North FL.

Perhaps the linkage just had to work itself in.

schesman

Heritage
First Name
Spencer
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Sport
Hello...new BS Base owner here, have had the vehicle for about a week.

I notice a minor amount of play in the Brake pedal when you first tap them after the system is at rest (the brakes feel perfect when engaged, and stop great). It feels like a "click" on your foot (like the kind you get when you tap the home button on an iphone with your finger). Subsequent braking in the same stopping event does not have the issue. After driving more, the play will be noticeable again on first tap of the brakes. I would say that the play is at most 1/4"....just enough to be annoying.

I'm theorizing that this is setup this way to allow for heating of the brake fluid. First tap is when some pressure is out of the system, subsequent taps have no play (or click feel).

Anyone experienced this with their BS? Many thanks in advance for replies.
I just bought a brand new 2023 and it has the same exact issue. I had the dealer check it out and they said it was probably from sitting around and should go away. Fingers crossed because it is annoying.
Sponsored