petegee77

Big Bend
First Name
Peter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Bronco Sport
As others here have indicated I've been curious as to the actual MPG I would get with the 3 banger on decent size trip. To say I am quite pleased is putting it mildly. We left Buffalo and headed to Syracuse in the NYS Thruway ( I90) then North on I81 to Watertown. I locked in the speed at 72mph and headed out. At that speed the Bronco gave me 32.5 mpg on the computer . Getting gas reveiled an actual 31.9 mpg. Very respectable.
Traveling further North from Watertown to Canton NY along Route 11 gave a computer reading of 33.8. We were doing around 57-61 mph on Route 11 and we lucked out with very little traffic but a few small towns to navigate thru. Bucking a headwind heading west back to Buffalo , which decreaded the gas mileage, gave us an overall MPG of 31.1 for the entire 622 mile trip. All in all we were very impressed with the BSBB on her first 600+ mile round trip road test.
Sponsored

NMhunter

Badlands
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
BS Badlands
That's great mileage. My BL got 32 mpg coming back to Albuquerque from Moab Off-rodeo. It was downhill with the wind behind me. Overall mileage was around 30. Mine likes 70mph and below a lot. The box shape doesn't do as well at 75 and 80. My overall mileage is 26.5. For mostly in town, that is great. Just did a 900 mile trip to Lake Powell and back pulling a 13' aluminum boat and 20 h.p. outboard, and it aveaged 22.5.

Mark S.

Badlands
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Badlands | 2020 Escape
That's great mileage. My BL got 32 mpg coming back to Albuquerque from Moab Off-rodeo. It was downhill with the wind behind me. Overall mileage was around 30. Mine likes 70mph and below a lot. The box shape doesn't do as well at 75 and 80. My overall mileage is 26.5. For mostly in town, that is great. Just did a 900 mile trip to Lake Powell and back pulling a 13' aluminum boat and 20 h.p. outboard, and it aveaged 22.5.
My current lifetime, hand-computed average is 26.69. Given what the vehicle is, I can live with that.

OP
OP
petegee77

petegee77

Big Bend
First Name
Peter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Bronco Sport
My current lifetime, hand-computed average is 26.69. Given what the vehicle is, I can live with that.
That's super. I've noticed that the ACTUAL MPG ( hand calculated) is less than the on board computer calculation. The fact that it has a 16 gallon tank gives it an outstanding range of nearly 500 miles.

Last edited:

Mark S.

Badlands
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Badlands | 2020 Escape
That's super. I've noticed that the ACTUAL MPG n( hand calculated) is less than the on board computer calculation.
Yes it is. I maintain a Google spreadsheet to monitor fuel economy (yeah, it's a bit anal, but makes me happy). Details in this post. Right now my measured average is 26.69. I note the displayed mileage at every fill up before resetting the trip meter, and the average of those numbers is 27.1. If you look through the data you can see for some fillups the difference is up to 2 MPG.

I recently adjusted the correction factor using the engineering interface (details in this post) and got the displayed figure closer to actual.

Bucko

Outer Banks
First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Bronco Sport
Ford Bronco Sport 1st Road trip in 22 BSBB. 1683725230005

OP
OP
petegee77

petegee77

Big Bend
First Name
Peter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Bronco Sport
Yes it is. I maintain a Google spreadsheet to monitor fuel economy (yeah, it's a bit anal, but makes me happy). Details in this post. Right now my measured average is 26.69. I note the displayed mileage at every fill up before resetting the trip meter, and the average of those numbers is 27.1. If you look through the data you can see for some fillups the difference is up to 2 MPG.

I recently adjusted the correction factor using the engineering interface (details in this post) and got the displayed figure closer to actual.
OUTSTANDING and totally cool Mark ! Once I get my 51 Vic on the road this week I'm going to fully check it out.

Barry S.

Big Bend
First Name
Barry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco Sport

I would expect nothing less.🤓

Ken L

Outer Banks
First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Sport
Short trip the day after we brought it home. Car and Coffee event in Newport RI at the Polo Grounds. First big trip was Ma to Pa 700 miles round trip. Amazed at the gas mileage we were getting with the 1.5L. Average between 35 and 38 MPG. Highways speeds you just have to plan your changing lanes. Still loving it after 20 months.

BSBB4Les

Big Bend
First Name
Les
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'03 Mustang conv, '22 Bronco Sport (Spooky)
I keep a written log of every fill up. I fill at no less than a quarter tank. This usually takes 10.5-11.8 gals. Miles driven varies between 285-320. I'm not sure why there's such a disparity since I use the same gas brand, Shell, and same octane rating, 87. I can only surmise it has to do with various driving conditions and weather, winter vs summer or hot vs cold. Anyway, mpg averages between 26 low and 28.5 high consistently. I'm very happy with this, as I've said many times before on different forums! :)

davidb1841

Outer Banks
First Name
Bruce
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford F250 Tremor; Bronco Sport Outer Banks
As others here have indicated I've been curious as to the actual MPG I would get with the 3 banger on decent size trip. To say I am quite pleased is putting it mildly. We left Buffalo and headed to Syracuse in the NYS Thruway ( I90) then North on I81 to Watertown. I locked in the speed at 72mph and headed out. At that speed the Bronco gave me 32.5 mpg on the computer . Getting gas reveiled an actual 31.9 mpg. Very respectable.
Traveling further North from Watertown to Canton NY along Route 11 gave a computer reading of 33.8. We were doing around 57-61 mph on Route 11 and we lucked out with very little traffic but a few small towns to navigate thru. Bucking a headwind heading west back to Buffalo , which decreaded the gas mileage, gave us an overall MPG of 31.1 for the entire 622 mile trip. All in all we were very impressed with the BSBB on her first 600+ mile round trip road test.
From Buffalo myself, miss it a lot,.......love the North Carolina weather more however!

OP
OP
petegee77

petegee77

Big Bend
First Name
Peter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Bronco Sport
From Buffalo myself, miss it a lot,.......love the North Carolina weather more however!
Anytime you want to swap locations just let me know. lol
Sponsored