Black Horse

Outer Banks
First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco Sport, 2009 F250, 1999 Mustang Cobra
Did my 1st oil change on my OB 1.5l...have to say that it was a whole lot easier and less messy than doing it's predecessor 1.6l 2013 Escape. A few more fasteners to remove the lower pan but once it is off the drain plug and even the filter (surprise) had lots of access room. Filter could be removed with a strap type wrench and not the cup type I had to use on the Escape with limited room to even get the wrench near it. And when the filter comes off it doesn't drip on all the hoses, wires and other encumbrances that you had to be a contortionist to get the filter around (and spill oil on). And reinstallation of the lower cover did not require a balancing act supporting the awkward cover. The cover slides over the front clips (not hanging underneath) and pops up onto the rear clip. Thanks Ford for actually engineering ease of maintenance!
Sponsored

dejones64

Big Bend
First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Lancer, BS BB
Did my 1st oil change on my OB 1.5l...have to say that it was a whole lot easier and less messy than doing it's predecessor 1.6l 2013 Escape. A few more fasteners to remove the lower pan but once it is off the drain plug and even the filter (surprise) had lots of access room. Filter could be removed with a strap type wrench and not the cup type I had to use on the Escape with limited room to even get the wrench near it. And when the filter comes off it doesn't drip on all the hoses, wires and other encumbrances that you had to be a contortionist to get the filter around (and spill oil on). And reinstallation of the lower cover did not require a balancing act supporting the awkward cover. The cover slides over the front clips (not hanging underneath) and pops up onto the rear clip. Thanks Ford for actually engineering ease of maintenance!
Thanks for the writeup. I haven't change my own oil in like 30 years. Thinking I'd give this a go on my BS BB. Couple questions please. Did you use Fords recommended Motorcraft oil and filter? Did you have to ramp up the front end to lower the skid plate? Thanks.

OP
OP

Black Horse

Outer Banks
First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco Sport, 2009 F250, 1999 Mustang Cobra
Thanks for the writeup. I haven't change my own oil in like 30 years. Thinking I'd give this a go on my BS BB. Couple questions please. Did you use Fords recommended Motorcraft oil and filter? Did you have to ramp up the front end to lower the skid plate? Thanks.
I did use ramps to access underneath and used Motorcraft Oil and filter.
Sponsored