Status
Not open for further replies.

LastBronco

Big Bend
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco Sport
It’s embarrassing in 2022 that car manufacturers can’t make a car that gets at least 30 mpg. Especially with a 3 cylinder. I owned a 3 cylinder Geo Metro in 1989 that got 40 mpg city and over 50 mpg on the highway. We’ve regressed since then.

Car manufacturers need to do much better….especially with gas at $6.00 a gallon!
Sponsored

Meanderthal

Badlands
First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'08 BMW R1200 GS Adv, '23 Norden Expedition
It’s embarrassing in 2022 that car manufacturers can’t make a car that gets at least 30 mpg. Especially with a 3 cylinder. I owned a 3 cylinder Geo Metro in 1989 that got 40 mpg city and over 50 mpg on the highway. We’ve regressed since then.

Car manufacturers need to do much better….especially with gas at $6.00 a gallon!
The issue is that your GEO Metro was a death trap. No airbags, no crumple zones, no door impact protection, no safety cell, etc etc. That car weighed just under 1700 lbs. About the lightest car these days would be about 2800 lbs. The BS is closer to 3800 lbs, more than double the Metro and less aerodynamic.

Most cars offered now will get better than 35mpg and will get better than 50mpg if you get a hybrid.

The BS is not designed to be an efficient vehicle, even though some steps were taken to make a little more efficient like using a turbo.

o0260o

Big Bend
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
BroncoSport
I disagree like the replies above but also agree that city mileage is poor. Low speed mpg, where aero is not a big factor, could be better. My fiesta was 27 mpg and BS is 22 on same commute. I guess it's the 1000 lbs extra weight.

Glamdring70

Badlands
First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 BL+BL
PEBKAC
Shouldn't have shopped Bronco if mileage was your concern. This information is plainly and blatantly available. Maybe this is a troll post. Maybe it's real. IDK. If your Big Bend is getting 22.4 then I think you're a strong contender for the worst Bronco Sport Mileage award. It's got to be either something mechanical or something biological wrong with the vehicle. One possible two-step solution.

1) https://www.carmax.com/sell-my-car
2) https://www.carmax.com/cars?search=MPG+over+40

V8 Yankee

Outer Banks
First Name
Harold
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 Bronco Sport

It's hard to say why you are getting poor mileage with the information or lack of you put in your post. I would rule out any mechanical or sensor issues due to the low mileage, it's possible but unlikely. Still if u suspect something get it checked out, it's under warrenty. The biggest factors to consider are personal driving habits, city/hwy time, idle time, ie: if the engine is running but tires are not rolling equals zero mpg. There are other factors to consider but they have a lessor impact on mpg.
Personally I'm getting 40 hwy and 31-34 city mpg. I've got a OB BS with 6.4K on it. This may or may not matter compared to yours.
This is what I have done to get that. I use full synthetic oil with a oil additive, I dualed off the exhaust which opened it up a bit plus shaved 10 lbs off vehicle weight. I changed out the OEM air filter with a K&N filter. This weekend I will install a Catch Can which might add to mpg but at the least won't hurt it either. I also increased my tire pressure to 36psi and lastly started using a fuel additive that no bullshit increased my milaege a minimum of 15%. My mpg goes up every tank full by using this, another story worthy of a separate post. Plus I drive the speed limit, use cruise as much as possible, use auto stop and generally make a concerted effort to maximize mpg by driving sensibly without getting in the way of others.
Hope that helps or gives you food for thought.

BoxerBronco

Badlands
First Name
Aaron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 Ford Edge ST Line, 22 BS Badlands
PEBKAC
Shouldn't have shopped Bronco if mileage was your concern. This information is plainly and blatantly available. Maybe this is a troll post. Maybe it's real. IDK. If your Big Bend is getting 22.4 then I think you're a strong contender for the worst Bronco Sport Mileage award. It's got to be either something mechanical or something biological wrong with the vehicle. One possible two-step solution.

Perhaps something “biologically” wrong with right foot!

AndyMac204

Base
First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco Sport Base / 1988 Dodge Power Ram w150
i think ford did great with it and the economy. its a 4x4 suv and it does pretty well imo.
a fiesta, and a metro are not even in the same category so you really can't compare against a sport.
perhaps change your driving styles, or eco mode, or go back to a geo metro.
just my 2 cents.

69cuda340s

Badlands
First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.billsgarage.info
Vehicle(s)
"21 BS Badlands, '16 F150 Platinum FX4
Stomping on gas pedal when pulling away from stop signs/red light?

OP
OP

LastBronco

Big Bend
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco Sport
PEBKAC

No actually this is about typical for my friends who have BS as well. People claiming 40 mpg or more on highway must be driving all downhill.

OP
OP

LastBronco

Big Bend
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco Sport
It's hard to say why you are getting poor mileage with the information or lack of you put in your post. I would rule out any mechanical or sensor issues due to the low mileage, it's possible but unlikely. Still if u suspect something get it checked out, it's under warrenty. The biggest factors to consider are personal driving habits, city/hwy time, idle time, ie: if the engine is running but tires are not rolling equals zero mpg. There are other factors to consider but they have a lessor impact on mpg.
Personally I'm getting 40 hwy and 31-34 city mpg. I've got a OB BS with 6.4K on it. This may or may not matter compared to yours.
This is what I have done to get that. I use full synthetic oil with a oil additive, I dualed off the exhaust which opened it up a bit plus shaved 10 lbs off vehicle weight. I changed out the OEM air filter with a K&N filter. This weekend I will install a Catch Can which might add to mpg but at the least won't hurt it either. I also increased my tire pressure to 36psi and lastly started using a fuel additive that no bullshit increased my milaege a minimum of 15%. My mpg goes up every tank full by using this, another story worthy of a separate post. Plus I drive the speed limit, use cruise as much as possible, use auto stop and generally make a concerted effort to maximize mpg by driving sensibly without getting in the way of others.
Hope that helps or gives you food for thought.
The tire pressure increased your gas mileage. The EPA has tested fuel additives and none of them led to an increase in gas mileage.

NEFKANO

Badlands
First Name
NEFTALI
Threads
Reaction score
Website
neftalicano.com
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Bronco Sport
Well... perhaps I'm ignorant... but ignorance in this case is true bliss... only have 1700 miles on my Badlands, but if the readout on the dash is to be believed... I'm getting between 33 and 37 on the freeway (avg 65mph) and City at about 25 to 27....

And fill ups with this small tank aren't even painful compared to my trade in.... 2012 Dodge Ram with 5.7ltr Hemi... 14 city and 19 highway, plus a 26 gallon tank to fill...eek! : (

V8 Yankee

Outer Banks
First Name
Harold
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 Bronco Sport
The tire pressure increased your gas mileage. The EPA has tested fuel additives and none of them led to an increase in gas mileage.
Some people like to argue just for the sake of arguing. Here's the proof

Now this milage avg is only since I filled up about 100 miles ago. It will go down now that it's the weekend, I'll be city driving till Monday morning. It'll slowly edge up to 40 again by next Tuesday. I live in Southern Florida, no hills here going up or down 150 miles in every direction. Its flat as a table everywhere.
Ford Bronco Sport 10,000 miles and 22.4 mpg 20220610_170220
Sponsored

Status
Not open for further replies.