1.5L Model AWD/4x4

GiraffezMilk

Big Bend
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Sport
Hey everyone,

So I've been hearing that the AWD/4x4 system only on the Badlands model or the 2.0L model, is better than the other models because it can transfer power to an individual wheel. I also have heard that Subaru's AWD will do this as well. I have also heard people say that the AWD on the Bronco is better than the Subaru's. Can someone explain what really happens with the 1.5L AWD system? Does it transfer power to individual wheels? How great does it perform?
Sponsored

Osco

Banned
Base
Banned
First Name
Marty
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Bronco Sport and 2004 Ford Escape AWD
Is it not all in the owners manual ?
My 1.5L does not have rock crawl mode or diff lock.
But on my steep loose gravel I cant get even one tire to slip unless I Jab the throttle like a rookie.
I also do not have that clutched rear diff. I don't go places that I'd need that as far as I can tell.
Read the owners manual and tell us if what you needed was in there...

OP
OP
GiraffezMilk

GiraffezMilk

Big Bend
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Sport
But on my steep loose gravel I cant get even one tire to slip unless I Jab the throttle like a rookie.
I also do not have that clutched rear diff. I don't go places that I'd need that as far as I can tell.
Couldnt find much about it in the manual but I will double check and report back! Thanks for the insight!

Cabezone

First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Cherokee Trailhawk
Hey everyone,

So I've been hearing that the AWD/4x4 system only on the Badlands model or the 2.0L model, is better than the other models because it can transfer power to an individual wheel. I also have heard that Subaru's AWD will do this as well. I have also heard people say that the AWD on the Bronco is better than the Subaru's. Can someone explain what really happens with the 1.5L AWD system? Does it transfer power to individual wheels? How great does it perform?
Subaru is all wheel drive transfers power the same way the Base Sports do. They use the brakes to stop wheel spin which moves power to another wheel but bleeds torque. I haven't seen anybody test anything other than the Badlands so I don't know if the base sport has a better solution than Subaru or not. I suspect they're about equal.

The only significant difference between the Badlands and the other trims is a dual rear clutch, that does give it a fair bit more capability. The larger engine also gives it a lot more torque to play with. So the Badlands trim is more capable than any Subaru.

OP
OP
GiraffezMilk

GiraffezMilk

Big Bend
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Sport
Subaru is all wheel drive transfers power the same way the Base Sports do. They use the brakes to stop wheel spin which moves power to another wheel but bleeds torque. I haven't seen anybody test anything other than the Badlands so I don't know if the base sport has a better solution than Subaru or not. I suspect they're about equal.

The only significant difference between the Badlands and the other trims is a dual rear clutch, that does give it a fair bit more capability. The larger engine also gives it a lot more torque to play with. So the Badlands trim is more capable than any Subaru.
Thank you. This is exactly what I was looking for. I appreciate it.

Maxwellian

Badlands
First Name
Maxwell
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
ā€˜21 Bronco Sport
2.0L also has liquid cooling on the center diff, so it can do more before overheating in 4wd

rdc17

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
BL+BL
This is a guess but I would think the AWD on the 1.5L works like most other crossover AWD setups, where the car uses the ABS as a way to manage wheel spin and cut power.

fdes

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Sport
The normal awd system is pretty impressive. I have the badlands and have been in a lot of different terrain short of rock crawling and havenā€™t needed to use any of the goat modes yet. I suspect the badlands is overkill for what I need and I could have gone with a lower model.

OP
OP
GiraffezMilk

GiraffezMilk

Big Bend
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Sport
The normal awd system is pretty impressive. I have the badlands and have been in a lot of different terrain short of rock crawling and havenā€™t needed to use any of the goat modes yet. I suspect the badlands is overkill for what I need and I could have gone with a lower model.
This is the first time I've heard this! I suspect I would be in the same boat if I got the badlands just because I don't go too much off roading.

Cabezone

First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Cherokee Trailhawk
Yes from what I've seen their solution acts very fast similar to Jeeps and Land Rover. Most all wheel drive solutions take a little while before it transfers power whereas these vehicles do it almost instantly.

Remember though in that Badlands you have a lot more torque than the base models. You'll find in the Subaru with similar torque have trouble on some hill climbs. Not usually in loose terrain but with wheels lifted.
Sponsored