1.5L Engine Splash Cover Sand Trap

Freddy Turbina

Big Bend
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Sport
I purchased my BS specifically for beach oversand driving, and after a few weeks of taking it out there I noticed there are a few of the splash covers on the undercarriage that act as really bad sand traps.

Notably, the one in the front covering the engine has some sort of vent in the center that if you are in high-center deeper sand, will take in a lot of sand. There are no apparent drainage holes or low points for this cover like there are on the other panels, so it gets absolutely full of sand.

Video taken in the vent, and a resulting sand pile photo below. Taking it into the dealership to see if there’s anything under this cover that a little sand might damage, and also to figure out how to take all of these panels off in case there’s a trip within especially high-centered sand.

Any idea the risks of letting a bit of sand stay up there so I don’t need to pull it off after every trip?

Ford Bronco Sport 1.5L Engine Splash Cover Sand Trap 0F103C5C-385B-4998-B2B8-DC5019ACBFFF

Seems as though deeper sand is not the designed-for off roading the BS is made for. Not as if we are driving while constantly dragging, but some deeper ruts with higher centers are just a normalcy when doing that type of driving and some skids/rubs are inevitable.

If anyone has any suggestions on how to get this cover off without having to raise the car, let me know!
Sponsored

fourthgear

Outer Banks
First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Bronco Sport ,MB Sprinter 4x4
Ramps to remove the cover , just like you would to change the oil . I think its 11 Torx & 3 or 4 plastic push ins . I had to remove it to get something I dropped down there , I used a battery operated drill motor & it was fast . If your brave , use a garden hose from the top , it should flush it out .

I haven't looked since I went on the beach for sand & I was also high centering on the same ruts you speak of .I guess I will have to look now .