1.5L Dragon Reviews and Impressions in other Vehicles

Shiskamba

Outer Banks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Ford Focus SE Hatch
i have never felt that it was underpowered. I keep seeing people say this kind of stuff like this car will be a dog but we never had trouble accelerating cars with less power 10 years ago. Nobody complains that an X3 Base model is slow.

I am averaging 24.5 MPG driving around north county San Diego
I agreed. I test drove a 1.5 today and easily hit 80 without trying before even making it to the end of the on-ramp for the interstate. This was in normal mode as well. I didnā€™t think to switch to sport mode until about a half mile further down the road. It scoots!
Sponsored

BroncoFan1

Big Bend
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford
I agreed. I test drove a 1.5 today and easily hit 80 without trying before even making it to the end of the on-ramp for the interstate. This was in normal mode as well. I didnā€™t think to switch to sport mode until about a half mile further down the road. It scoots!
It sounds like the 1.5L is the way to go. Do you wish you had the extra GOAT modes that the Badlands has?

Shiskamba

Outer Banks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Ford Focus SE Hatch
It sounds like the 1.5L is the way to go. Do you wish you had the extra GOAT modes that the Badlands has?
For a test drive I unfortunately didnā€™t have as much time to test out all the modes and certainly nothing off road, but personally I donā€™t do enough off road to make it worthwhile. And without the extra mechanical features of the BL those modes canā€™t really be had anyway.
My sport once it arrives will be for light trails, hiking access, and getting me and my kayak out on the water a few times a month each summer. The other 80ish percent of the time is my daily driver where Iā€™ll probably keep it in eco mode for my 4 mile commute, ha! Iā€™m an architect so most days itā€™s the office but the versatility to get it on and off a muddy rut-covered jobsite once in a while will be much appreciated over my current vehicle. I donā€™t need a pickup or anything larger so the BS fits the bill for me.

BroncoFan1

Big Bend
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford
For a test drive I unfortunately didnā€™t have as much time to test out all the modes and certainly nothing off road, but personally I donā€™t do enough off road to make it worthwhile. And without the extra mechanical features of the BL those modes canā€™t really be had anyway.
My sport once it arrives will be for light trails, hiking access, and getting me and my kayak out on the water a few times a month each summer. The other 80ish percent of the time is my daily driver where Iā€™ll probably keep it in eco mode for my 4 mile commute, ha! Iā€™m an architect so most days itā€™s the office but the versatility to get it on and off a muddy rut-covered jobsite once in a while will be much appreciated over my current vehicle. I donā€™t need a pickup or anything larger so the BS fits the bill for me.
I think the 1.5L would make sense for me. Like you, a large percentage will be on the road. I don't think I would use the other GOAT modes if I got a Badlands.

Last edited:

BroncoFan1

Big Bend
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford
i have never felt that it was underpowered. I keep seeing people say this kind of stuff like this car will be a dog but we never had trouble accelerating cars with less power 10 years ago. Nobody complains that an X3 Base model is slow.

I am averaging 24.5 MPG driving around north county San Diego
That's decent gas mileage. It's too bad they're not rated for at least 30 MPG. But for a 4x4, it's good.

Zander1ni

Big Bend
First Name
Alexander
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Golf tdi
That's decent gas mileage. It's too bad they're not rated for at least 30 MPG. But for a 4x4, it's good.
if you inflate the tires more, use intelligent cruise, and have no roof rack 30 mpg would be attainable.

my roof rack really cuts down the mpg

Osco

Banned
Base
Banned
First Name
Marty
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Bronco Sport and 2004 Ford Escape AWD
I got the first Bronco Sport In my county, It Is a Base model and at 350 miles now I am very happy. If they had one with the larger motor I would still have bought this 1.5L engine.
$28,000 was all I wanted to spend and most Importantly I feel I got my money's worth.
As for the other models packages and extra GOAT modes I had no need for all that.
Mine climbs my 14% grade loose gravel roads just fine even without using the GOAT profiles.

My Front wheel drive Ford Transit Connect LWB XLT struggled badly when things were dry and loose.
When things were super dry the gravel was very loose and the only option was to take the long way around to my house or go up a particular section In reverse with the Transit.

I was very happy to trade it for this BS. Oh and It's the Murdered out Black one, I dig the blacked out Bronco name front and rear :p

BroncoFan1

Big Bend
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford
I got the first Bronco Sport In my county, It Is a Base model and at 350 miles now I am very happy. If they had one with the larger motor I would still have bought this 1.5L engine.
$28,000 was all I wanted to spend and most Importantly I feel I got my money's worth.
As for the other models packages and extra GOAT modes I had no need for all that.
Mine climbs my 14% grade loose gravel roads just fine even without using the GOAT profiles.

My Front wheel drive Ford Transit Connect LWB XLT struggled badly when things were dry and loose.
When things were super dry the gravel was very loose and the only option was to take the long way around to my house or go up a particular section In reverse with the Transit.

I was very happy to trade it for this BS. Oh and It's the Murdered out Black one, I dig the blacked out Bronco name front and rear :p
Congrats on the new Bronco Sport! The Base models are a really good deal for what you get/capabilities. Did you paint the wheels black? I've been wondering what the Base model wheels look like in black.

Osco

Banned
Base
Banned
First Name
Marty
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Congrats on the new Bronco Sport! The Base models are a really good deal for what you get/capabilities. Did you paint the wheels black? I've been wondering what the Base model wheels look like in black.
Nope and I prolly won't paint them, I'd rather find a set of black steel wheels. would sell mine to pay for steel, Steel Is real :p
Ford Bronco Sport 1.5L Dragon Reviews and Impressions in other Vehicles steel wheels

Last edited:

Osco

Banned
Base
Banned
First Name
Marty
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'enthusiasts' are complaining about this engine why ? Mine is smooth, quiet and plenty powerful.
No weird sounds/tones, vibrations, nothing odd. It may be because they just like to complain.
I twisted the 'Goats' tail into sport mode and got a bit farther Into the throttle, I pulled away from the traffic just fine today.
As I'm only at 370 miles I'm not using more than say 65% of the throttle and even then It pulls harder than my 3.0 Liter Normally asperated V-6 in my 2004 escape when I mash the go button right on down really close to the floor.
FWIW at the next light I got GOAT back In normal mode,
And I pulled away from traffic again with no Issues.
I will admit the throttle profile of the Sport was funner :p

Heyzeus

Big Bend
First Name
Charles
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco Sport
Do you ever feel like the engine is 'overworked' when accelerating around town, or when merging on a highway?

What kind of MPG are you getting?
Ford Bronco Sport 1.5L Dragon Reviews and Impressions in other Vehicles CC221E7C-D4B8-4948-8661-F111A8FE5745
Nope it-does not feel underpowered. I really enjoy driving it. I am used to driving cars with some power.

tjbronco

Big Bend
First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Bronco Sport, 2020 Subaru Outback
Different strokes - I was cross shopping many different vehicles in the Bronco Sports class - CRVs, RAVs, Forester (our other car is an Outback, which we really like). For me, I would not have considered the Bronco Sport if the 1.5 was not offered - I have a 70 mile round trip to work every day, and have kids that need shuttled about with all their stuff. I live in Cleveland - we don't have mountains, but we do get a lot of snow and having AWD makes things a bit more doable during the winter. Our Bronco sport has been averaging over 30 mpg on it's dash gauge - very similar to what we get from our Outback. I am sure that the 2.0 is a great engine in the vehicle, but the extra MPG is worth more to me from the 1.5. I have found the 1.5 to be a good engine for the Bronco Sport - not perfect, but has a pretty cool personality most of the time (I have ridden a 69 Triumph Trident for probably 35 years - 3 cylinder engines can make some neat noises at times). I have noticed the booming that others have mentioned, but this seems to be the transmission holding a higher gear up a hill than seems warranted - probably in the interest of gas mileage. Blipping the throttle will usually downshift the transmission and the booming stops. Most of the time, the engine is quiet and eager to get the job done. I don't run mine in sport mode - usually Eco mode for me, which does take even more of the spunk out of it, but it runs with traffic just fine. Overall, the vehicle really suits me really well, which is the point.
Ford Bronco Sport 1.5L Dragon Reviews and Impressions in other Vehicles bronco dash

Last edited:

MJE

Badlands
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Bronco Sport
Though Iā€™m still waiting on my ordered BL, what I test drove last summer prior to ordering was the one OB theyā€˜d gotten on the lot at that point & were putting a few miles on as a demo prior to selling it.

Iā€™m not a particularly power hungry guy, and chose a BL for multiple reasons beyond the 2.0. But honestly? The 1.5 was perfectly fine for the vast majority of driving. It might be nice if the 2.0 was optional in more trims, but the 1.5 3 was not at all lacking for the freeway.
Ford Bronco Sport 1.5L Dragon Reviews and Impressions in other Vehicles 1647807777971
Sponsored