gcbroncosport

Outer Banks
First Name
G
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Sport
Realize topic has been discussed over and over. Just creating a post that once and for all outlines the situation, parts needed and a simple how to (this would have so helped me).

Beginning mid 2021 Ford stopped including engine covers for BS outfitted with the 1.5 liter Dragon engine (plenty of theories and outrage :)). Besides there being no cover, Ford added a plastic bracket to the right and back of the engine to help hold two hoses in place... Intriguing!

There is a diagram floating around that shows the cover, short metal stud, long plastic stud and a bottom insulator piece. To clarify, diagram does NOT actually represent parts needed to retrofit a BS without an engine cover. Only need 2 of the parts shown and for one of those parts, the short metal stud, 3 are needed.

What you will need:
  • Engine Cover = JX6Z-6A949-B
  • Short, Engine Cover Metal Stud = AA5Z-6N958-A (need 3)
What you will NOT need:
  • Long, Engine Cover Plastic Stud (already installed, used to hold the plastic bracket in place)
  • Bottom Insulator (already installed)
Had followed the diagram and as a result made mistake of ordering ONLY 1 short bolt as well as a long bolt that was NOT needed (noticed bottom insulator was already there so at least avoided that extra purchase).

As for install, it will be obvious where the 3 short mounting bolts go. To remove the bracket, first unclip the hoses or simply cut the zip ties (ties were on tight so left them on and just unclipped hoses from the bracket using a trim tool). Once hoses are free from the bracket, trick will be to pull the bracket out. Easier said than done but it will pop out, just give it a good hard pull straight up. Suggest spraying some WD 40 inside (see pic below) the cylinder section on the right where the bracket is mounted.

And that is it! Hopefully helpful (post is NOT to debate merits or uselessness of an engine cover... nor how cheap Ford is (but they are!) for no longer including one in a $30k+ SUV!) :crackup:

Ford Bronco Sport 1.5L Dragon Engine Cover Parts List and Install Instructions IMG_5254 - Copy
Sponsored

Kodiakbear

Outer Banks
First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco Sport Outer Banks
Realize topic has been discussed over and over. Just creating a post that once and for all outlines the situation, parts needed and a simple how to (this would have so helped me).

Beginning mid 2021 Ford stopped including engine covers for BS outfitted with the 1.5 liter Dragon engine (plenty of theories and outrage :)). Besides there being no cover, Ford added a plastic bracket to the right and back of the engine to help hold two hoses in place... Intriguing!

There is a diagram floating around that shows the cover, short metal stud, long plastic stud and a bottom insulator piece. To clarify, diagram does NOT actually represent parts needed to retrofit a BS without an engine cover. Only need 2 of the parts shown and for one of those parts, the short metal stud, 3 are needed.

What you will need:
What you will NOT need:
  • Long, Engine Cover Plastic Stud (already installed, used to hold the plastic bracket in place)
Had followed the diagram and as a result made mistake of ordering ONLY 1 short bolt as well as a long bolt that was NOT needed (noticed bottom insulator was already there so at least avoided that extra purchase).

As for install, it will be obvious where the 3 short mounting bolts go. To remove the bracket, first unclip the hoses or simply cut the zip ties (ties were on tight so left them on and just unclipped hoses from the bracket using a trim tool). Once hoses are free from the bracket, trick will be to pull the bracket out. Easier said than done but it will pop out, just give it a good hard pull straight up. Suggest spraying some WD 40 inside (see pic below) the cylinder section on the right where the bracket is mounted.

And that is it! Hopefully helpful (post is NOT to debate merits or uselessness of an engine cover... nor how cheap Ford is (but they are!) for no longer including one in a $30k+ SUV!) :crackup:

Ford Bronco Sport 1.5L Dragon Engine Cover Parts List and Install Instructions IMG_5254 - Copy
Nice write up. This should really clarify things for people with MISSING engine covers!

BroncoRob

Big Bend
First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco Sport, 2008 Shelby GT500, 2005 Ford EX

What you will need:
What you will NOT need:

Save the hose bracket....

Warpious

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.floracreekplace.com
Vehicle(s)
'08 Merc Mariner, 2012 Mustang (R.I.P), 2022 BS BL
So there's lots of info on the 1.5 being named Dragon, I haven't seen anything about what the 2.0 is called. Tried Google searching and still nothing. Any one know?

retiredguy

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco Sport BB , 2020 Ecosport, 2017 Escape

What you will need:
What you will NOT need:

kyle_conrad

Outer Banks
First Name
Kyle
Threads
Reaction score
Website
kyleconrad.com
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco Sport Outer Banks
So there's lots of info on the 1.5 being named Dragon, I haven't seen anything about what the 2.0 is called. Tried Google searching and still nothing. Any one know?
it doesn’t have a fun name, it’s the “2.0L Twin-Scroll”

rmreid22

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Bronco Wildtrak, 2018 Mustang GT
Parts arrived yesterday and installed today. Very easy. Probably no more than 5 mins. Engine compartment looks good.
Ford Bronco Sport 1.5L Dragon Engine Cover Parts List and Install Instructions 1648415248642
Is this a purely cosmetic add or does it help reduce engine noise?

OP
OP
gcbroncosport

gcbroncosport

Outer Banks
First Name
G
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Sport
Ditto to cosmetic. May have changed tone of engine a little. Cover does help prevent wires/hoses/etc from getting all gunked up with dirt and debris.

Believe hood insulator may do more for engine/road noise. That's next on to do list but part currently out of stock.

slowpoke17

Big Bend
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 Bronco, '19 Ranger,'09 MB, '77 & 03 Corvette,
I added my cover recently. Just got tired of seeing the exposed topside of the engine. One thing I would add is to shop around. I've noticed there's quite a competitive field out there looking for your business. I'm finding the same is true as I'm still searching for the hood insulation pad.

M3H7363

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Maverick hybrid XLT
I added my cover recently. Just got tired of seeing the exposed topside of the engine.
Why do you have the hood up so often as to get tired of seeing the exposed engine?

(Full disclosure: My 2021 Big Bend, that Carvana just hauled away, had an engine cover. Picking up an Outer Banks in an hour that won't have one. Don't care. Hood is down 99.9999999999999% of the time.)

Last edited:

slowpoke17

Big Bend
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 Bronco, '19 Ranger,'09 MB, '77 & 03 Corvette,
Why do you have the hood up so often as to get tired of seeing the exposed engine?

I'm retired and have nothing else to do so I stare at the motor whenever I have a chance! Seriously, it's just one of those things that annoys me as it is incomplete in my eyes and I needed to address it. Just like I want to add the hood insulation pad when it becomes available. I'm a retired designer and I see the design details when done correctly or not.

OP
OP
gcbroncosport

gcbroncosport

Outer Banks
First Name
G
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Sport
One may have noticed engine covers for both 1.5ltr and 2.0ltr are made of this rubber/foam material. If purely aesthetic and useless, in the spirit of being cheap as heck why not a simpler and cheaper plastic one? The foam material actually provides a cushioning material which can help cars meet European Standards for pedestrian impact safety measures. US standards not as strict it seems and so an easy delete to cut costs. Certainly, will leave it to the physicists and engineers here (am not one) to debate whether the manufacturers (Volvo, Ford, etc.) adding it for that measure are wrong (certainly would not be the first time they would be wrong). :)

https://www.automotiveworld.com/news-releases/pedestrian-protection-changing-automotive-industry/
Sponsored