Echo1

Big Bend
First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco Sport
I thought it might help to have a little more info about the fuel injectors and recall so I've attached a parts diagram of the Bronco Sport 1.5 fuel injectors and a youtube video posted by a Ford tech showing what they do to install the drain tube on a '22 Escape.

At the top of the parts diagram, you can see the direct injection fuel rail. The down-tubes cover the high pressure injectors so you can't see them.

Ford Bronco Sport ⚠️ 2021-2023 Bronco Sport Fuel Injector Recall For 1.5L EcoBoost Engine [Updated With Ford FAQ] Bronco Sport Direct Fuel Injector

Machmslf

Big Bend
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19 f150 22 mustang gt
Follow up

Parts magically showed thursday and we picked it up 5 hours ago, put 60km on it, i really like it. It will look nice to my 22 purple 5.0

ScareCrow

Badlands
First Name
Burl
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
BS/Badlands

Mark S.

Badlands
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Badlands | 2020 Escape
You can read a more detailed description of the lawsuit here. A couple of things that jumped out at me:

The more than half a million cars at risk for spontaneous fires are equipped with fuel injectors that are dangerously prone to cracking...
The question isn't whether these fuel injectors may crack, the question is are they more prone to cracking than other vehicle manufacturers? Given that Ford purchases these injectors from a company that specializes in manufacturing fuel system components, there's a high likelihood these same injectors are used by other manufacturers.

rather than repairing or replacing faulty fuel injectors, creates additional safety risks by diverting leaked gasoline to the roadway beneath the vehicle or to the floors of owners’ garages, setting the stage for environmental issues, further injuries and property damage
I wonder if these lawyers realize the cars they are driving almost certainly have drain tubes that divert combustible fluids away from hot areas under the hood in the event of a leak?

Additionally, the automaker has offered no reimbursement to owners for out-of-pocket repair costs
??? Is anyone paying out-of-pocket for this recall repair?

[or reimbursement for] the loss of use of their vehicles or loss of vehicle value. It has also neglected to provide consumers with a comparable loaner vehicle that they can use while the automaker works on implementing a real fix.
I wonder if these "lawyers" read the disclaimer included in the Warranty document supplied to all Ford new vehicle owners, which reads (in part) "Ford and your dealer are not responsible for any time or income that you lose, any inconvenience you might be caused, the loss of your transportation or use of your vehicle, the cost of rental vehicles, fuel, telephone, travel, meals, or lodging, the loss of personal or commercial property, the loss of revenue, or for any other incidental or consequential damages you may have."

Owners made warranty claims related to this defect as early as September 2020. But Ford did not issue a recall on affected Escapes or Bronco Sports until March 2022—a recall which, the automaker itself admits, was inadequate, as it did not address the fuel injector defect at all and dealt only with damaged oil separators.
So somehow these owners knew their cars had faulty fuel injectors way back in early 2022? I wonder how they figured that out?

Ford can’t just add a hose to divert fuel out to the ground and call that a fix for a faulty fuel injector
There is no such thing as a perfect assembly/production line. A certain percentage of brand new parts will be defective. I wonder how these lawyers will prove the OEM injectors have a higher percentage of production defects than others?

Ohwell

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Sport
You can read a more detailed description of the lawsuit here. A couple of things that jumped out at me:

The question isn't whether these fuel injectors may crack, the question is are they more prone to cracking than other vehicle manufacturers? Given that Ford purchases these injectors from a company that specializes in manufacturing fuel system components, there's a high likelihood these same injectors are used by other manufacturers.

I wonder if these lawyers realize the cars they are driving almost certainly have drain tubes that divert combustible fluids away from hot areas under the hood in the event of a leak?

??? Is anyone paying out-of-pocket for this recall repair?

I wonder if these "lawyers" read the disclaimer included in the Warranty document supplied to all Ford new vehicle owners, which reads (in part) "Ford and your dealer are not responsible for any time or income that you lose, any inconvenience you might be caused, the loss of your transportation or use of your vehicle, the cost of rental vehicles, fuel, telephone, travel, meals, or lodging, the loss of personal or commercial property, the loss of revenue, or for any other incidental or consequential damages you may have."

So somehow these owners knew their cars had faulty fuel injectors way back in early 2022? I wonder how they figured that out?

There is no such thing as a perfect assembly/production line. A certain percentage of brand new parts will be defective. I wonder how these lawyers will prove the OEM injectors have a higher percentage of production defects than others?
I'm guessing Ford is installing those drain hoses on all the new 1.5L engines along with all the ones getting recalled as they would still need a way to drain that fuel away from heat sources even if a new style fuel injector is used as they could also crack or leak sometime down the road.

Ohwell

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Sport
I received my second recall letter on Saturday, called my dealer he said his service manager would call me back Monday morning (today). Long story short he claimed ten people called ahead of me and Ford is only letting dealers order one recall kit a day so he'll get back to me when my kit arrives.
Has there ever been a recall as messed up as this? Seems they have had plenty of time to get parts made for this as none of the parts look to be made of anything in short supply. I guess I'm thinking all the parts are going to new vehicles and cars already back on the lots for sale. I'm thinking about trading this thing in as I want to go back to a truck but who's going to take it with a safety recall before the recall is done especially if I don't buy another Ford?

Last edited:

nrussell

Big Bend
First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco Sport "Juice"
Some of you may have read my earlier posts regarding my situation...to recap, I purchased a '21 BS BB from a non-Ford dealer back on Jan 12. Unfortunately I still have yet to drive it aside from a quick test drive the day I signed the paperwork. They wouldn't release it to me with the active recall looming but agreed to put me in a loaner vehicle at no cost until the repair was completed. They have assured me they are in contact with the neighbor Ford dealer and that I am at the top of the list for when the parts are available. My hands are basically tied as I sit and wait to be notified by them that it is ready.

I saw the release that Ford put out dated Feb 10 that was posted here on the forum a couple weeks ago saying that parts are now available in limited supply...so I have been very anxious to get a phone call soon letting me know it is ready...so far, no call ☹

After seeing a few folks in this thread say they have had the repair/software update completed on their vehicles, I decided to stop by my local Ford dealership (a different one) just to see if they had the parts, and/or what all they could tell me about this recall. From what I gathered, they have the drain tubes and the software programming is a simple update, but what they are having an issue with is getting the loctite needed to complete the repairs. They've been instructed to only use a certain kind for this job.

Don't really know what my mission was in posting this...just getting a little antsy going on two months here waiting to get my BS in the driveway. 😩

Weston52

Big Bend
First Name
Weston
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
04 Solara, 91 Miata
Received my notice last week that parts for the possible cracked injector were now available so called Jim Ellis Ford in Atlanta yesterday to see about taking care of that and the prior brakepad and oil separator recalls. Set an appointment for them to pick up my 21 BS BB this morning at 10 and it was returned around 3:00. Couldn’t have been easier and more trouble free.

Fergus

Outer Banks
First Name
Fergus
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 BS OB
Hagerstown Ford told me they can't order part. Got letter from Ford saying parts were available. Getting pretty pissed off.

Ohwell

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Sport
MInes done, it only took a little over an hour. Heres hoping any updates they have done over the last couple of years to the ECM software are also included with the new update.
Sponsored