‘21 Big Bend rear end clunk

First Name
Brandon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21’ bronco sport
The vehicle currently has 21,500 on the odometer and recently developed a clunk in the rear end. It’s audible and I can feel it in the seat. I’ve already had the rear brakes addressed at the dealership to alleviate the squealing. I was hoping this was just a simple caliper dragging the rotor creating friction.
Now I’m feeling like this is a full on rear end issue.

It was first noticeable at take off from a dead stop. Then tight radius turns ( which made me think Diff), now it’s just kind of sporadic in addition to those scenarios.

Has anyone else experienced this? I’m dropping it off tomorrow expecting for them to say “ I couldn’t recreate the problem” or, “ sounds normal to me”

There’s also a super annoying fluttering noise in the engine bay behind the steering wheel area. Possibly the transmission scrambling to find a gear? Wastegate rattle?
Sponsored

Ford Motor Company

First Edition
First Name
Ford
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco, Bronco Sport
The vehicle currently has 21,500 on the odometer and recently developed a clunk in the rear end. It’s audible and I can feel it in the seat. I’ve already had the rear brakes addressed at the dealership to alleviate the squealing. I was hoping this was just a simple caliper dragging the rotor creating friction.
Now I’m feeling like this is a full on rear end issue.

It was first noticeable at take off from a dead stop. Then tight radius turns ( which made me think Diff), now it’s just kind of sporadic in addition to those scenarios.

Has anyone else experienced this? I’m dropping it off tomorrow expecting for them to say “ I couldn’t recreate the problem” or, “ sounds normal to me”

There’s also a super annoying fluttering noise in the engine bay behind the steering wheel area. Possibly the transmission scrambling to find a gear? Wastegate rattle?
Good morning! Please send over a DM with your VIN and Ford dealer info, and I can look into your concerns on my end.

Chiefthepup

Big Bend
First Name
Colt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco sport
I don’t know if this is your issue but I experienced something similar. It was intermittent but at parking lot speeds and turning or over even the slightest bump I could hear it every time and feel it in the back seat like you said. Turned out my spare tire was rubbing on the metal frame and causing a surprisingly loud clunking and creaking noise as the vehicle had any slight bend or move. I adjusted the tire and super tightened the plastic piece holding it down and it went away. Hope that’s all it is!

Oh, I drive a ‘22 big bend

Last edited:

fog53

Big Bend
First Name
ron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco Sport
Had a very similar noise. Ford has a service bulletin that addresses this.
  • RECORD_ID: 2966458
    Bulletin Number: SSM 49571
    Replacement Service Bulletin Number: N/A
    NHTSA Item Number: 10187981
    Date Posted: 02-15-2021
    Component Name: 100000 POWER TRAIN
    Make: FORD
    Model: BRONCO SPORT
    Year: 2021
Some 2019-2021 Edge/Nautilus, 2020-2021 Escape/Corsair, 2021 Bronco Sport vehicles equipped with all wheel drive (AWD) may exhibit chatter/shudder during low speed turning events due to fluid contamination. Drain and refill the rear drive unit (RDU)

After complying with this service bulletin my clunking noise went away.

Last edited:
OP
OP
First Name
Brandon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21’ bronco sport
Awesomeness. 22k miles on contaminated diff fluid. Sounds exactly like my issue.

the spare tire was the first thing I checked. It’s snug as can be.

sticks918

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 BL, Area 51
Hey Brandon,

My '21 Badlands has recently developed the same issues at 30k miles. I've got a service appointment scheduled for next week, can you reply back when they check yours out and let me know if that fluid flush solved it?

OP
OP
First Name
Brandon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21’ bronco sport
Hey Brandon,

My '21 Badlands has recently developed the same issues at 30k miles. I've got a service appointment scheduled for next week, can you reply back when they check yours out and let me know if that fluid flush solved it?
They replaced a friction sensor on the rear end as well. I’ve been driving it for a week with no issues so far. Seems to resolved the issue.

Mark S.

Badlands
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Badlands | 2020 Escape

MoFoCo

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Transit 250, VW eGolf, 2021 Badlands
I wasn’t even aware there was a manual parking brake release. Lol

I thought it was 100% electric
It's not for the parking brake, it's the cable that manually releases the transmission from Park. If the battery is dead, you can put the car in neutral for towing.

I disconnected mine and it's so much quieter to drive.

OP
OP
First Name
Brandon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21’ bronco sport
It's not for the parking brake, it's the cable that manually releases the transmission from Park. If the battery is dead, you can put the car in neutral for towing.

I disconnected mine and it's so much quieter to drive.
good to know.

nearly all of the “driving noise”, whizzing etc has gone away after they performed the most recent work
Sponsored