Elboy

Badlands
First Name
Elden
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Subaru Forester
So i took my badlands on a trail and found a small/medium ish rut. So i took out my camera and recorded the badlands going through it multiple times just to see how it performs (wheel travel, power transfer, traction control, approach/departure angles, etc)

please note this is not at all an extensive test, or even a test for that matter. simply a video of the bronco sport going diagonal on a rut at a very slow speed. a everything was done in normal mode, everything standard from start up.

feel free to watch this video, i’ve left it pretty raw and un cut as much as possible (except parts where the car isn’t in frame).

lmk what you guys think
Sponsored

RonSwanson

First Edition
First Name
Ron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Fiesta ST, 2020 Edge ST, 2021 Bronco Sport First Edition
So i took my badlands on a trail and found a small/medium ish rut. So i took out my camera and recorded the badlands going through it multiple times just to see how it performs (wheel travel, power transfer, traction control, approach/departure angles, etc)

please note this is not at all an extensive test, or even a test for that matter. simply a video of the bronco sport going diagonal on a rut at a very slow speed. a everything was done in normal mode, everything standard from start up.

feel free to watch this video, i’ve left it pretty raw and un cut as much as possible (except parts where the car isn’t in frame).

lmk what you guys think
Thanks for the posting the video @Elboy. I'm sure this wasn't the point of your video, but I noticed your splash guards scraped a few times (2:21 & 4:48). Having them hit something while "off-road" or in deep/rutted snow is my only concern with adding them to my BS.

Just curious whether that's been an issue for you with them at all?

I believe you have these?

https://accessories.ford.com/kit-mudflap-13180.html#2021/Bronco Sport
Ford Bronco Sport [VIDEO] Impromptu Three Wheeling ‘test’ 1612563594248

https://accessories.ford.com/kit-mudflap-13181.html#2021/Bronco Sport
Ford Bronco Sport [VIDEO] Impromptu Three Wheeling ‘test’ 1612563587121

I'm looking at those and the much more expensive versions (see below) which just seem more rigid. Those would probably be even worse if you "scraped" one, I'm thinking. Any thoughts?

https://accessories.ford.com/kit-mudflap-12881.html#2021/Bronco Sport
Ford Bronco Sport [VIDEO] Impromptu Three Wheeling ‘test’ 1612563672871

Ford Bronco Sport [VIDEO] Impromptu Three Wheeling ‘test’ 1612563680238

https://accessories.ford.com/kit-mudflap-12882.html#2021/Bronco Sport
Ford Bronco Sport [VIDEO] Impromptu Three Wheeling ‘test’ 1612563704341

Ford Bronco Sport [VIDEO] Impromptu Three Wheeling ‘test’ 1612563713777

OP
OP
Elboy

Elboy

Badlands
First Name
Elden
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Subaru Forester
Thanks for the posting the video @Elboy. I'm sure this wasn't the point of your video, but I noticed your splash guards scraped a few times (2:21 & 4:48). Having them hit something while "off-road" or in deep/rutted snow is my only concern with adding them to my BS.

I'm looking at those and the much more expensive versions (see below) which just seem more rigid. Those would probably be even worse if you "scraped" one, I'm thinking. Any thoughts?

You are correct I have the cheaper ones. Yes one think i did notice during this 'test' was that I scraped multiple times in the rear end, scraping only the mudflaps tho. So departure angle technically is worse with the mudflaps. Now obviously mudflaps arent that important compared to other underbody components, but if the gatorback mudflaps are flexible id say those would hold up better anyways.

I have yet taken the BS on a proper offroading excursion with ruts / technical terrain. Id imagine if I had to pass a rock crawling feature, id hit the mudflaps multiple times. But as for now they havent given any problems except butt clenching thinking i scraped something else lol. I put them on mostly for looks. And even in that case ill keep them on even if ill scrape them every now and then.

OP
OP
Elboy

Elboy

Badlands
First Name
Elden
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Subaru Forester
Very well done, informative video.,we appreciate your time and effort.AS I am still awaiting my CG OUTERBANKS. Thanks
thank you! So stoked for you taking delivery, itll be worth the wait.

RonSwanson

First Edition
First Name
Ron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
You are correct I have the cheaper ones. Yes one think i did notice during this 'test' was that I scraped multiple times in the rear end, scraping only the mudflaps tho. So departure angle technically is worse with the mudflaps. Now obviously mudflaps arent that important compared to other underbody components, but if the gatorback mudflaps are flexible id say those would hold up better anyways.

I have yet taken the BS on a proper offroading excursion with ruts / technical terrain. Id imagine if I had to pass a rock crawling feature, id hit the mudflaps multiple times. But as for now they havent given any problems except butt clenching thinking i scraped something else lol. I put them on mostly for looks. And even in that case ill keep them on even if ill scrape them every now and then.
I am not likely to ever do any serious off roading in my BS, but I do drive a fair amount on dirt roads, which is why I'm interested in the splash guards. The number of times I'll be concerned about scraping them is probably few and far between, but I'm trying to figure out why the gatorback ones cost 5x more money.

Edit: After doing some more research on them, they actually seem like they're less rigid than the cheaper, plastic splash guards, so they might be the better option for me.

Last edited:

OP
OP
Elboy

Elboy

Badlands
First Name
Elden
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Subaru Forester
I am not likely to ever do any serious off roading in my BS, but I do drive a fair amount on dirt roads, which is why I'm interested in the splash guards. The number of times I'll be concerned about scraping them is probably few and far between, but I'm trying to figure out why the gatorback ones cost 5x more money.

Edit: After doing some more research on them, they actually seem like they're less rigid than the cheaper, plastic splash guards, so they might be the better option for me.
Yah the gatorbacks are so much more expensive. If you have the money for the gatprbacks id say sure why not, theyd probably hold up better in those specific scenarios. If youre on a budget and still need mudflaps, id say find the cheaper alternative.

JAMitch215

Big Bend
First Name
Jared
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco Sport

make a post if you get the gatorback ones. I think I want them too.

retiredguy

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco Sport BB , 2020 Ecosport, 2017 Escape

I installed the cheaper Ford OEM. I believe the Gatorbacks were close to $500 for front and rears.

RonSwanson

First Edition
First Name
Ron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I'm leaning towards them. I think I have enough Ford Rewards points to pay for about half of them to soften the blow. I will post an update if I get them.

MRanderson

Big Bend
First Name
Jared
Threads
Reaction score
Website
yuccamanufacturing.com
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Sport Big Bend

lmk what you guys think
I see your in Redlands, have you been out to Cleghorn lately on it?

RonSwanson

First Edition
First Name
Ron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)

I'm having the gator back splash guards installed by the dealer along with the side window deflectors. I'll post some pics when I can because I don't think I've seen those on a Bronco Sport anywhere yet.
Sponsored