My Big Bend disabled 4wd after seconds of climbing on loose ground.

AndyMac204

Base
First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco Sport Base / 1988 Dodge Power Ram w150
What can we Big Bend owners expect in a few inches of snow, leave us stranded when the 4wd disables itself?
never no way. our base has seen deep snow many times so far and zero issues. these sports love the snow.

69cuda340s

Badlands
First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.billsgarage.info
Vehicle(s)
"21 BS Badlands, '16 F150 Platinum FX4
There is nothing in the manual to suggest too much tire spin can result in a protective/temporary shutdown of the 4wd system. I don't think the tires are your issue.
The PTU has a temp sensor and if it gets hot shuts it down to protect it. Badlands have a cooler lower trims do not. I have read PTU don't have much gear oil like half quart. I wonder if OP PTU is lower on gear oil?

OP
OP
abxponce

abxponce

Big Bend
First Name
Bernardo Rosado
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Sport
There is nothing in the manual to suggest too much tire spin can result in a protective/temporary shutdown of the 4wd system. I don't think the tires are your issue.
It is the spinning becaus
The PTU has a temp sensor and if it gets hot shuts it down to protect it. Badlands have a cooler lower trims do not. I have read PTU don't have much gear oil like half quart. I wonder if OP PTU is lower on gear oil?
Thats a good question.

69cuda340s

Badlands
First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.billsgarage.info
Vehicle(s)
Thats a good question.
I would check that fluid level and it needs changing frequently due to low capacity. Its a maintenance thing cause small fluid capacity

OP
OP
abxponce

abxponce

Big Bend
First Name
Bernardo Rosado
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Sport
I would check that fluid level and it needs changing frequently due to low capacity. Its a maintenance thing cause small fluid capacity
THANKS. Could there be a posibility that there would be an aftermarket PTU cooler?

69cuda340s

Badlands
First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.billsgarage.info
Vehicle(s)
THANKS. Could there be a posibility that there would be an aftermarket PTU cooler?
Don't but if someone came up with one it would sell.

69cuda340s

Badlands
First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.billsgarage.info
Vehicle(s)
I saw this video guy changing PTU fluid in 2020 Escape:

69cuda340s

Badlands
First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.billsgarage.info
Vehicle(s)

Mark S.

Badlands
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Badlands | 2020 Escape
Badlands have a cooler lower trims do not.
PTU in the Badlands is water liquid cooled; the PTUs in other trims are air cooled.

I wonder if OP PTU is lower on gear oil?
This is why I recommended OP take his car to the service department. If it is indeed low then there is a leak or it was not properly filled prior to sale. In either case, it should be covered by warranty. As far as I know, there is nothing in the owner's manual about how to check PTU gear oil level, nor is there anything about its normal capacity or the specification of the correct gear oil.

IMHO, performing maintenance not described in the owner's manual on a car that's still under warranty is not a good idea.

Last edited:

MaxVelocity

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1970 Bronco
As far as I know, there is nothing in the owner's manual about how to check PTU gear oil level, nor is there anything about its normal capacity or the specification of the correct gear oil.
I also haven't seen anything. I wonder if it's covered under the transmission service. I didn't see any specifications for that either. I'm sure Ford expects the dealer to perform that.

69cuda340s

Badlands
First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.billsgarage.info
Vehicle(s)
IMHO, performing maintenance not described in the owner's manual on a car that's still under warranty is not a good idea.
Yes checking or changing the PTU oil is intended for a properly skilled technician. That is not something Ford is recommending owners do themselves hence not in owners manual.

69cuda340s

Badlands
First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.billsgarage.info
Vehicle(s)
I also haven't seen anything. I wonder if it's covered under the transmission service. I didn't see any specifications for that either. I'm sure Ford expects the dealer to perform that.
If you see video in post #54 above the gear oil is supposed to be filled to the top of the fill plug. Should be done by technician with appropriate skills.

MaxVelocity

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1970 Bronco
If you see video in post #54 above the gear oil is supposed to be filled to the top of the fill plug. Should be done by technician with appropriate skills.
Correct but I am wondering if there is any fluid change involved for the PTU when they perform scheduled transmission service. It would be interesting to see what the factory service manual says.
Sponsored