Yakima Skyrise HD rooftop tent

ZeroCool

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Bronco Sport
That’s awesome man. Looks good. So is that a 2 person the rooftop?

OP
OP
ChefDank

ChefDank

Badlands
First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Bronco Sport
Yes it is the 2 person rooftop...they sell a 3 person that the bronco sport can still handle. I went with the 2 person so I can put a narrow yakima basket and a shower on top and not max out the weight limit while moving. That bluetent in the picture is actually the napier suv tent; connects to the rear of the bronco....gives you that Xtra room and place to change and stuff. It has an awning and you can stand in it as well.

Ford Bronco Sport Yakima Skyrise HD rooftop tent 20210620_161411

Ford Bronco Sport Yakima Skyrise HD rooftop tent 20210620_161536

tRex

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Sport
Looks great! Can anyone please report exactly how long the rainfly rods are? Say from from bottom to the bend and then overall tip-to-tip? For 2-person small...thanks!

Osco

Banned
Base
Banned
First Name
Marty
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Bronco Sport and 2004 Ford Escape AWD
Yes it is the 2 person rooftop...they sell a 3 person that the bronco sport can still handle. I went with the 2 person so I can put a narrow yakima basket and a shower on top and not max out the weight limit while moving. That bluetent in the picture is actually the napier suv tent; connects to the rear of the bronco....gives you that Xtra room and place to change and stuff. It has an awning and you can stand in it as well.

Ford Bronco Sport Yakima Skyrise HD rooftop tent 20210620_161411

Ford Bronco Sport Yakima Skyrise HD rooftop tent 20210620_161536
This tent would be my choice, standing up would be my first reason, obvious interior space my second.
Would not want to spend a rainy day on the roof in a space made for just sleeping.
I just would not want the climb up, crawl in business of the roof top.

OP
OP
ChefDank

ChefDank

Badlands
First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Bronco Sport
Looks great! Can anyone please report exactly how long the rainfly rods are? Say from from bottom to the bend and then overall tip-to-tip? For 2-person small...thanks!
Not sure how long the rainfly rails are exactly; ? not sure why it matters tho. They are probably 24"-30" but I'll measure for exact measurements next time I open her up. They do sell a 3 person skyrise for a few hundred more; I didn't want the extra weight of it. At 105# rn it's a struggle for me and my wife (she is vertically challenged ??? 4'11"); so it involves a stepstool and her fully extending her arms over her head ?

OP
OP
ChefDank

ChefDank

Badlands
First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Bronco Sport
This tent would be my choice, standing up would be my first reason, obvious interior space my second.
Would not want to spend a rainy day on the roof in a space made for just sleeping.
I've used this a few times; not the best tent for the price. The concept and layout is great; the execution and design is poor. Getting a "good seal" at the opening around the vehicle can be troublesome at times. Found that out by being attacked by mosquitoes and bugs a few times. Also the shape is awkward and when you anchor it down it doesn't sit right for me.(unless mine is a defect?‍♂). Lastly it leaks already; second use I was in a heavy rain and even tho the base wraps up 6" on the sides I had quite bit of rain come in. I had to waterproof spray and treat it upon drying. Haven't used it in the rain since.

tRex

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Sport
You spend the rainy day in your chair out under your Slim Shady...! In any weather I have never in the past couple of decades spent any of a rainy day inside the tent (except to sleep at night, of course). But you can sit comfortably in the HD Small, and of course plenty of room lying down, even at just 84" long (open). I'm taking it camping, cycling and hiking, so climbing in is fun and not any inconvenience at all for me. It's just the right size primarily for me and on occasion the wife also. And, I find it much more comfortable than the ground, or even my cot. I don't find any need to stand in there, but that's what the optional Annex is for. I would agree with anyone though -- not at full retail price, something like 3x the cost of a ground tent 3x as large. On the other hand, there is no comparison with a ground tent here with the build and convenience of this tent.

tRex

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Sport
Not sure how long the rainfly rails are exactly; ? not sure why it matters tho. They are probably 24"-30" but I'll measure for exact measurements next time I open her up. They do sell a 3 person skyrise for a few hundred more; I didn't want the extra weight of it. At 105# rn it's a struggle for me and my wife (she is vertically challenged ??? 4'11"); so it involves a stepstool and her fully extending her arms over her head ?
Yes it matters -- I made some poor substitutes for my trip and they were way too long, the rainfly then did not fit anywhere near correctly. Since it was warm and dry though, I didn't correct it -- should have just removed the fly but left it attached with my too-long poles installed so I could see out and breathe. I wanted to trim them to the correct length, but also have the genuine article on order. (They *may* be 35.5" ea. for the HD Small, thought I saw that somewhere...also 3/16" or 1/4" dia.?). Incidentally the HD Small is "technically" 1.41 lbs. over my Badlands w/sunroof limit according to Yakima of 99 lbs. (the tent is 101.41 lbs.).

OP
OP
ChefDank

ChefDank

Badlands
First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Bronco Sport
Yes it matters -- I made some poor substitutes for my trip and they were way too long, the rainfly then did not fit anywhere near correctly. Since it was warm and dry though, I didn't correct it -- should have just removed the fly but left it attached with my too-long poles installed so I could see out and breathe. I wanted to trim them to the correct length, but also have the genuine article on order. (They *may* be 35.5" ea. for the HD Small, thought I saw that somewhere...also 3/16" or 1/4" dia.?). Incidentally the HD Small is "technically" 1.41 lbs. over my Badlands w/sunroof limit according to Yakima of 99 lbs. (the tent is 101.41 lbs.).
I'm still confused; the rainfly is included with the tent. So the poles associated with the rainfly should fit and do their job accordingly. All the rainfly poles are the samesize; maybe you didn't install them correctly? ?‍♂ you have to stick the pole in the base of the tent on an angle then bend the hook on the other end into the opening of the rainfly. Make sure you secure the 3 poles on top before doing the doors and sides.

tRex

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Sport
Mine's most likely away for the season, but thanks, if you get the chance! I had to figure out how to do everything but have it down to everything from the ground or, standing on the rear tires and front door sills (the rack makes fine handholds). It's pretty easy but, the big pain is lining up so much wide, grippy velcro putting the cover back on (but that good seal is worth it going down the road).
Sponsored