Weston52

Big Bend
First Name
Weston
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
04 Solara, 91 Miata
My son, a 5 yr BMW tech, just finished his EV training classes. In a general bs session afterward the trainers were talking about the current chip shortages and the impact they were having on BMW and other companies. Specifically they mentioned Ford as likely having to do away with the key fobs and return to good old fashioned keyed ignition switches presumably to conserve chips for more vital purposes. Obviously donā€™t know if thereā€™s anything to it but it seems to dovetail with everything else weā€™re hearing about Ford is considering to get cars on the road.
Sponsored

13MikeH

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco sport
My son, a 5 yr BMW tech, just finished his EV training classes. In a general bs session afterward the trainers were talking about the current chip shortages and the impact they were having on BMW and other companies. Specifically they mentioned Ford as likely having to do away with the key fobs and return to good old fashioned keyed ignition switches presumably to conserve chips for more vital purposes. Obviously donā€™t know if thereā€™s anything to it but it seems to dovetail with everything else weā€™re hearing about Ford is considering to get cars on the road.
This would not be the worst scenario. I have a neighbor with SWAT. My dodge I turned in sparked a conversation about thieves hacking the MOPAR keyfob programming with an ipad. Apparently, they were very easily able to bypass security features and steal the code, unlock the doors, and start/drive away without the fob. Matter of time before they do this with any brand. It was a big enough concern in their briefings apparently to share with me, keep the car in the garage at night. going back to metal keys, bring it.

SportWest

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 Bronco Sport Badlands
Obviously donā€™t know if thereā€™s anything to it but it seems to dovetail with everything else weā€™re hearing about Ford is considering to get cars on the road.
Still not as bad as Ford putting an 8'' screen in the Maverick to get the trucks out the door.

Flash

Outer Banks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Sport
This would not be the worst scenario. I have a neighbor with SWAT. My dodge I turned in sparked a conversation about thieves hacking the MOPAR keyfob programming with an ipad. Apparently, they were very easily able to bypass security features and steal the code, unlock the doors, and start/drive away without the fob. Matter of time before they do this with any brand. It was a big enough concern in their briefings apparently to share with me, keep the car in the garage at night. going back to metal keys, bring it.
They can do this with any car with a fob, not just MOPAR.

https://www.foxnews.com/auto/crooks-steal-car-in-under-60-seconds-with-electronic-relay-device

Crooks steal car in under 60 seconds with electronic 'relay device'

They didnā€™t have to break anything to enter the sedan they were stealing, but a couple of car crooks caught on camera were gone in less than 60 seconds anyway.

West Midlands Police in the United Kingdom have released security footage of two thieves using so-called ā€˜relay devicesā€™ to rob a Mercedes-Benz S-Class equipped with a proximity key from a driveway.

One of the hooded men can be seen waving a small device along the wall of the home the car is parked outside of, in order to pick up the signal from the keyfob somewhere inside, while the other places his device near the luxury four-door. The signal from the keyfob is then extended between the two devices, allowing the car to be unlocked, started and driven away without any fuss.

Itā€™s a type of crime becoming more common these days, and has proven tough to prevent. Police have even taken to advising the owners of vehicles with this type of lock to resort to using an old fashioned steering wheel lock as a deterrent. You can also take the batteries out of the keyfob when not in use, keep it as far away from the car as possible or store it in a signal-blocking box.

13MikeH

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco sport
They can do this with any car with a fob, not just MOPAR.

https://www.foxnews.com/auto/crooks-steal-car-in-under-60-seconds-with-electronic-relay-device

Crooks steal car in under 60 seconds with electronic 'relay device'

They didnā€™t have to break anything to enter the sedan they were stealing, but a couple of car crooks caught on camera were gone in less than 60 seconds anyway.

West Midlands Police in the United Kingdom have released security footage of two thieves using so-called ā€˜relay devicesā€™ to rob a Mercedes-Benz S-Class equipped with a proximity key from a driveway.

One of the hooded men can be seen waving a small device along the wall of the home the car is parked outside of, in order to pick up the signal from the keyfob somewhere inside, while the other places his device near the luxury four-door. The signal from the keyfob is then extended between the two devices, allowing the car to be unlocked, started and driven away without any fuss.

Itā€™s a type of crime becoming more common these days, and has proven tough to prevent. Police have even taken to advising the owners of vehicles with this type of lock to resort to using an old fashioned steering wheel lock as a deterrent. You can also take the batteries out of the keyfob when not in use, keep it as far away from the car as possible or store it in a signal-blocking box.
I guess specifically in my area the dodge brand is the big target/easier to enter but your point is valid unquestionably.

If cars must be kept outside the easiest fix is keep keys in RFID shielded box or sleeve. They actually make fabric pretty cheap. Thieves can even steal the code staked out in a parking lot. So long as your FOB is in proximity of their device and your car it's gone in 60 seconds. Brand irrelevant

Huntyeraws

Big Bend
First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford BS BB
In this instance, old late 1980's tech of "The Club" works just fine against a "high tech" thief.
Ford Bronco Sport New rumor - Ford going away from key fobs and returning to physical keys Screenshot_20210718-114142-491

Huntyeraws

Big Bend
First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford BS BB
I believe a CO2 extinguisher and hammer turns the club into useless if I remember it correctly or just a simple drill and titanium bit
Clubed
These guys aren't going to show up with a trailer full of tools for every scenario. If they have a scan device, it will be all they bring. Grab and run.

13MikeH

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco sport
These guys aren't going to show up with a trailer full of tools for every scenario. If they have a scan device, it will be all they bring. Grab and run.
You'd be surprised...local problem is now people showing up and removing parts. The most recent, a driver door from a brand new dodge ram. Picked the lock, removed the door, clipped the wires. A motivated criminal stops at nothing

Huntyeraws

Big Bend
First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford BS BB
You'd be surprised...local problem is now people showing up and removing parts. The most recent, a driver door from a brand new dodge ram. Picked the lock, removed the door, clipped the wires. A motivated criminal stops at nothing
Yep...that is why most carry motor vehicle theft insurance. Nice to have... hopefully most will never have to use. Nobody in my immediate or extended family has been impacted by motor vehicle theft going back 70+ years. Not to to say that it can't happen...but nothing I need to worry 24/7 about. The last that I checked, people still go to prison for grand theft auto. The odds are greater for my vehicle getting hit and damaged by a hit and run driver. Unfortunately, I personally have had that happen several times over the years to my own vehicles. Anyway, I am not worried about my BS BB getting stolen... because I am still waiting for it to be built. ???

13MikeH

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco sport
Yep...that is why most carry motor vehicle theft insurance. Nice to have... hopefully most will never have to use. Nobody in my immediate or extended family has been impacted by motor vehicle theft going back 70+ years. Not to to say that it can't happen...but nothing I need to worry 24/7 about. The last that I checked, people still go to prison for grand theft auto. The odds are greater for my vehicle getting hit and damaged by a hit and run driver. Unfortunately, I personally have had that happen several times over the years to my own vehicles. Anyway, I am not worried about my BS BB getting stolen... because I am still waiting for it to be built. ???
Irony...the bronco in my picture was stolen, April Fool's day 1992. Downtown, my dad took it to work. Came out to head home and thought my mom and sister pulled a joke on him...nope. Detectives stated they had an increased theft rate at that location, specifically off-road capable vehicles for mudding. Go figure. Like you said, can't live in fear but being smart doesn't hurt.

Deleted member 4922

I'd do anything to go back to a regular key. I'm not a fan of the fob at all. I'd even go so far as to pay for the mod if it were offered. I guess I'm getting old. I managed to turn off most of the 'driver assist' stuff and reverting to a key would be the icing on the cake.

jhbass

First Edition
First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Sport
Could probably rig up a hidden kill switch. I'm sure that the manufacturers will probably develop something to make theft more difficult.
Sponsored