1.5/or transmission hiss/air-y sound? Anyone’s noise?

Romac

Base
First Name
Roman
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco Sport, 2020 Ford Escape SE
As per my other thread I’ve been pretty watchful of my BS since it got back from the loom failure. I’m not unfamiliar with the 1.5 dragon being noisey (we have it in a 2020 escape). However, it is having some sounds I’m not used to. Accelerating/under load there’s almost an air leak type sound, faucet sounding whir - maybe a vacuum leak? But there are no codes and it runs fine.

im curious if something is loose or it’s the nature of the engine in the BS platform. Anyone else noticing strange sounds with their 1.5 or transmission?

note - I don’t mean turbo whistle/noises, I’m very familiar with turbo cars. It’s an additional sound.
Sponsored

69cuda340s

Badlands
First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.billsgarage.info
Vehicle(s)
"21 BS Badlands, '16 F150 Platinum FX4
Maybe they removed exhaust and did not put it on correctly and now its leaking? For exhaust leaks you can take a 3/8 hose 3 or 4 feet long move one end around exhaust connections and hold other end to your ear. You can pinpoint the smallest leaks. You can find vacuum leaks that way too....

Reactions: Jrl

Martinjv71

Badlands
First Name
Martin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 BadLands
As per my other thread I’ve been pretty watchful of my BS since it got back from the loom failure. I’m not unfamiliar with the 1.5 dragon being noisey (we have it in a 2020 escape). However, it is having some sounds I’m not used to. Accelerating/under load there’s almost an air leak type sound, faucet sounding whir - maybe a vacuum leak? But there are no codes and it runs fine.

im curious if something is loose or it’s the nature of the engine in the BS platform. Anyone else noticing strange sounds with their 1.5 or transmission?

note - I don’t mean turbo whistle/noises, I’m very familiar with turbo cars. It’s an additional sound.
I will bet the dealership can tell you. That may be a but more reliable.

OP
OP
Romac

Romac

Base
First Name
Roman
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I have been noticing something like this when I’m releasing gas pedal in slow speeds. Wondering if it’s a normal sound - it’s not quiet.
Got a vid by chance? You direct message or email it to me, I’d be curious to compare.

I took it by one dealer who noted the noise but was unsure of what it was, and hadn’t been in a bronco at all to compare it to. I def think somethings going on with mine but I also have no baseline

GoatsyBanks

Badlands
First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Bronco Sport
Mine almost sounds like air bubbles that hadn't been purged from a fluid system. Sometimes accompanied by a mild wine. Sound "seems" located in front of the drivers side fire wall.
The dealership said to give it a break in period and bring it back if it doesn't stop. I'm at 550 mi.

Amyloo

Big Bend
First Name
Amy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Bronco Sport
Got a vid by chance? You direct message or email it to me, I’d be curious to compare.

I took it by one dealer who noted the noise but was unsure of what it was, and hadn’t been in a bronco at all to compare it to. I def think somethings going on with mine but I also have no baseline

Attachments

Struckby99

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Will be watching this thread as I’m having the same hissing noise in my Badlands. More of a wind rushing sound. Only When the vehicle is moving and only under acceleration.

Nancy B

Big Bend
First Name
Nancy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 bronco sport
Will be watching this thread as I’m having the same hissing noise in my Badlands. More of a wind rushing sound. Only When the vehicle is moving and only under acceleration.
I am having this exact same problem. I took it in to the dealer.
they thought it was a loose cable that came through the firewall.
they told me they fixed it, but they didn’t. The guy that went out with me to hear it, I do not think he can hear well. So I am taking it to a bigger dealer hoping for Better ears.

Theowlhoothoot

Big Bend
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Sport
Yup we have it at any speed when you throttle. It sounds a little like the Turbo on my IS200T when I'm decelerating except that it's constant. Not sure if this is some type of tuning issue or not for when the turbo kicks in.

OP
OP
Romac

Romac

Base
First Name
Roman
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
As an update, I also took mine back to the dealer and because I have a case with Ford open/the problem with the wire loom, a Ford Service Engineer met me there and he looked over it. He found nothing wrong also, drove it around for the day and heard the sound but did not hear it as unusual per the Broncos he's been around. He arranged for me to drive the other 1.5s on the lot to compare and took his time with me while we explored them. I heard the sound in every single 1.5 I drove.

Unfortunately this is either normal for the 1.5 Sports, or a significant amount of them are exhibiting the problem.

The engineer did tell me that he reviewed some files on the Bronco Sport to familiarize himself more before we met, and the Sport has significantly less NVH deadening all throughout compared to the Escape platform. Ford cut cost here since it's a more 'active' vehicle and the NVH allowance/expectation would be different than the more road going Escape, so we may be hearing more noise than normal from that also.

Still speculation but at least more informative than a passive tech ride along where they just send you out the door. They put mine on the lift and looked everything over, nothing was out of place of loose etc.

GoatsyBanks

Badlands
First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Bronco Sport
The air hissing sound while under throttle is consistent. I can deal with that.
What is troubling is the noise in second gear, up shifting, down shifting or with light throttle. It sound like air bubbles moving through a pressurized fluid valve.
Does anyone else have that?
I dont know anything about automatics but Im pretty sure the OB doesn't have a trans cooler. Could it be air moving through the transmission?
I will say that after 1000 miles it happens less.

Struckby99

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
It must be all trims. Mine has the 2.0 and has the same noise. Not sure about a trans cooler but I understand all models have a transfer case cooler. Basically an air duct on 1.5l models and a water cooled on the 2.0’s. When the dealerships in my area get more vehicles I’m going to drive them all to compare. I plan on adding additional sound deadening when I upgrade the sound system hoping it quiets the hissing sound.

Last edited:

MoFoCo

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Transit 250, VW eGolf, 2021 Badlands
I’ve noticed the same sound driving home from the dealer in my Badlands. It comes from the driver firewall, stops only when the vehicle is idling. I thought it was the A/C but it didn’t change when I turned it off. Sounds liquid, might be water through the heater core. Doesn’t sound like a turbo.