My thoughts after a weekend roadtrip

Freeskierdude

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2007 CRV
I went on a 450 ish mile road trip in my badlands this weekend to go skiing and here are my random takeaways so far.

I was able to cover all bases, Snowy roads, straight-up black ice, windy roads, through the rain, and highway driving. Positives, I really love how you can lock the car into 4wd, it gives you a lot of confidence. If you start sliding downhill and you have the brake applied, the car automatically downshifts to prevent the abs from doing all the work, it works like magic.

The turning radius is ridiculously short :). The steering gets heavier as you pick up speed. It makes driving the windy road really immersive. I enjoy that a lot. The factory windshield wipers are very good.

I still haven't put my foot down but the power and acceleration are impressive, I love the feeling when the turbo kicks in around 2 thousand rpm.

As a side note, this car attracts some serious attention. People are constantly turning heads and staring at you. People on the highway try to maintain speed with you so they can check you out.

Continuing, The lane centering works well, but I think it works best when you give the car a tiny bit of feedback as your going along otherwise is might have a bias to one side of the lane. The lane keep assist is great but on a very windy road, as you drive dynamically in your lane (like hugging the inside of a turn), it will make little adjustments. I can't confirm this but I'm pretty sure when I accelerate through a sharp turn the torq vectoring will kick in a little bit, and it feels awesome and confidence-inspiring.

Here are some of my gripes, The android auto, and apple car play glitch a little via the audio cutting out and disconnecting in little spurts. It's really annoying at times(it's not my cell service because all the music I listen to is pre-downloaded, I have no cell service on huge parts of my journey). This happened once, but I drove by a rock face that overhangs 10 feet above the road just a tiny bit and the pre-collision warning went off, This also happened when I accelerated past a car that was pulling over. It only happened twice during 10 hours of driving on very dynamic roads.

My next thing is when I pull over to take a leak and I leave the car on and have the key in my pocket the car will do two quick little beeps at you.

Overall I freakin love this car. I can't wait to take it through the mud next. The only things I reallllllllly hope that gets fixed and I'm positive it will is the android auto/apple car play being a little glitchy. Ford is your reading this fix that asap.
Ford Bronco Sport My thoughts after a weekend roadtrip Inked20210109_095459_LI - Copy
Sponsored

Last edited:

JRav007

Big Bend
First Name
J.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Bronco Sport
Thanks for the review!!! That cactus green looks fantastic in this light and against the white snow! Congrats! I am anxiously awaiting my Badlands in hopefully 3 short months
Great review! I dig that color. I’m loving mine as well even though I haven’t had the chance to test it in the elements like you have! Now that you mention it, my Apple play has glitched a bunch as well...not the biggest deal, but worth noting.

Kperry62

Outer Banks
First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Subaru
I went on a 450 ish mile road trip in my badlands this weekend to go skiing and here are my random takeaways so far.

I was able to cover all bases, Snowy roads, straight-up black ice, windy roads, through the rain, and highway driving. Positives, I really love how you can lock the car into 4wd, it gives you a lot of confidence. If you start sliding downhill and you have the brake applied, the car automatically downshifts to prevent the abs from doing all the work, it works like magic.

The turning radius is ridiculously short :). The steering gets heavier as you pick up speed. It makes driving the windy road really immersive. I enjoy that a lot. The factory windshield wipers are very good.

I still haven't put my foot down but the power and acceleration are impressive, I love the feeling when the turbo kicks in around 2 thousand rpm.

As a side note, this car attracts some serious attention. People are constantly turning heads and staring at you. People on the highway try to maintain speed with you so they can check you out.

Continuing, The lane centering works well, but I think it works best when you give the car a tiny bit of feedback as your going along otherwise is might have a bias to one side of the lane. The lane keep assist is great but on a very windy road, as you drive dynamically in your lane (like hugging the inside of a turn), it will make little adjustments. I can't confirm this but I'm pretty sure when I accelerate through a sharp turn the torq vectoring will kick in a little bit, and it feels awesome and confidence-inspiring.

Here are some of my gripes, The android auto, and apple car play glitch a little via the audio cutting out and disconnecting in little spurts. It's really annoying at times(it's not my cell service because all the music I listen to is pre-downloaded, I have no cell service on huge parts of my journey). This happened once, but I drove by a rock face that overhangs 10 feet above the road just a tiny bit and the pre-collision warning went off, This also happened when I accelerated past a car that was pulling over. It only happened twice during 10 hours of driving on very dynamic roads.

My next thing is when I pull over to take a leak and I leave the car on and have the key in my pocket the car will do two quick little beeps at you.

Overall I freakin love this car. I can't wait to take it through the mud next. The only things I reallllllllly hope that gets fixed and I'm positive it will is the android auto/apple car play being a little glitchy. Ford is your reading this fix that asap.
Ford Bronco Sport My thoughts after a weekend roadtrip Inked20210109_095459_LI - Copy
????

Kperry62

Outer Banks
First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Subaru

Getting mine soon. I just can’t wait!

Bdub

First Edition
First Name
Bryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F150
@Freeskierdude the Subaru Forester does the exact same thing (although it's not just limited to taking a leak activity). :crackup:

"My next thing is when I pull over to take a leak and I leave the car on and have the key in my pocket the car will do two quick little beeps at you."

TinyCadon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Plymouth Volarie

What kind of MPGs were you getting on the Hwy? What speed were you going?

OP
OP
Freeskierdude

Freeskierdude

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2007 CRV
What kind of MPGs were you getting on the Hwy? What speed were you going?
I was only on the highway for an hour each way and the rest of it was driving over mountain passes. I only kept track of the entire trip. There is a ton of altitude change over the duration but I got 25.7 mpg. I think you can get a lot better than the EPA estimate to be honest

RonSwanson

First Edition
First Name
Ron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Fiesta ST, 2020 Edge ST, 2021 Bronco Sport First Edition
@Freeskierdude the Subaru Forester does the exact same thing (although it's not just limited to taking a leak activity). :crackup:

"My next thing is when I pull over to take a leak and I leave the car on and have the key in my pocket the car will do two quick little beeps at you."
Every newer Ford car I've driven does that when you're out of the car with the key.

Molson

Big Bend
First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 Big Bend BS; '13 Subaru Impreza

I think that is to remind you that the engine is still on since you are leaving the car with your keys.

OP
OP
Freeskierdude

Freeskierdude

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2007 CRV
I think that is to remind you that the engine is still on since you are leaving the car with your keys.
haha yes. It's just funny to me coming from an old car. It's like the car now has a personality

2Horse

Badlands
First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT, 2021 Bronco Sport Badlands
What tires do you have on that Badlands? Looks like Cooper. Were they aftermarket?

Wyo

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco Sport BL, 1968 Bronco, 2018 Expy
Nice write-up! Your BL looks sharp! If my deal goes smooth, I'll be driving my Area 51 BL home this afternoon.

meckems

First Edition
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Sport

I am experiencing the same thing in my FE with the android auto audio cutting out briefly. Yes it is annoying and I hope that is fixed soon.

Ford Bronco Sport My thoughts after a weekend roadtrip 20210108_082437

realworld51

Outer Banks
First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Bronco Sport
The only things I reallllllllly hope that gets fixed and I'm positive it will is the android auto/apple car play being a little glitchy. Ford is your reading this fix that asap.
If you haven’t already, create an account at owner.ford.com. Check there occasionally for Sync updates that may include a fix. Updates are free to download and self-install, or your dealer will install for a fee. HTH.
Sponsored