ChupaKobra

First Edition
First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford
Looks like someone finally managed to photograph a hint of the green that A51 is supposed to have... angles and lighting just so. Unless this is an edited photo?
No edits/filters! It’s amazing how different the color looks depending on the time of day..

Wyo

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco Sport BL, 1968 Bronco, 2018 Expy
Congrats! Looks awesome! My BL (Area 51) is scheduled to arrive between Jan 30th and Feb 5th. Looking forward to some off-road action videos/pics from your FE!

Last edited:

Wyo

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco Sport BL, 1968 Bronco, 2018 Expy

jofer

Badlands
First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 Bronco Sport, '23 2Dr Bronco
Why air down, for traction?
It's to keep the tires from cutting down into the sand. Deflating makes the tires wider.

The wider the tires are, the larger the area that the load is distributed across, and therefore the less stress is placed on the sand (stress is force/area). The lower you keep the stresses on the sand surface, the less likely it is to "break" (i.e. have the tires cut down), and the more traction you'll have and the less barriers (ruts) you'll need to move through.

You'll sometimes hear this called "flotation" because the tires "float" on top of the sand, but that's kind of a misleading term.

So, yeah, traction, but a bit more nuanced than that.

tombstone81

Badlands
First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2009 Ford Flex, 2021 Mazda CX-9
It's to keep the tires from cutting down into the sand. Deflating makes the tires wider.

The wider the tires are, the larger the area that the load is distributed across, and therefore the less stress is placed on the sand (stress is force/area). The lower you keep the stresses on the sand surface, the less likely it is to "break" (i.e. have the tires cut down), and the more traction you'll have and the less barriers (ruts) you'll need to move through.

You'll sometimes hear this called "flotation" because the tires "float" on top of the sand, but that's kind of a misleading term.

So, yeah, traction, but a bit more nuanced than that.
Great explanation Jofer! I try to explain it away using a snowshoe analogy...same idea.

Rojo13

Outer Banks
First Name
Roger
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Sport, GMC Acadia
No edits/filters! It’s amazing how different the color looks depending on the time of day..
My Alta Blue looks Black half the time! We ordered curbside and wife described the car as "blue" and they had to call back because they couldn't find it! LMAO (of course the word BRONCO on the front should have helped but...)
Sponsored