Mustang313

Outer Banks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT (s197)
Posted by Bronconation here's an explanation of GOAT modes on the Bronco Sport.

G.O.A.T. Modes are part of the overall Terrain Management System (TMS) in the Bronco Sport. All Bronco Sports have the TMS with five G.O.A.T. modes but the Badlands and First Edition trims also have Trail Control and two additional G.O.A.T. Modes in their TMS.

First let’s look at which G.O.A.T. Modes are included in which trims. Here’s the breakdown:
  • Included in all Bronco Sports
  • Normal
  • Eco
  • Sport
  • Slippery
  • Sand
  • Additional Modes Available in Bronco Sport Badlands and First Edition
  • Mud/Ruts
  • Rock Crawl
Those last two modes are both tied to the advanced 4x4 system that comes with the Badlands and First Edition, specifically the 4x4 Lock and Rear Differential Lock features.

Now for the novices out there, lets define some terms. G.O.A.T. Modes adjust throttle response, transmission shift points, steering feel, and braking calibrations. Lets make sure that we understand each of those.

• Throttle Response: This is your Go-Fast variable and is all about how quickly the engine can increase power output based on the instructions the driver sends through the accelerator pedal.
  • Transmission Shift Points: The transmission controls how much of that engine power is being transmitted to the rest of the vehicle’s drivetrain that ultimately makes it to the wheels. Shift points control when the automatic transmission shifts between gears. For example, staying in a lower gear longer will help you accelerate faster but will burn fuel fast because the engine is working harder.
  • Steering Feel: : Fairly self-explanatory, this variable adjusts what it feels like to control the vehicle through the steering wheel. Automotive manufactures can adjust this through adjusting the friction on the steering column so it feels harder or easier to turn in addition to other means of adjustment.
  • Braking Calibrations : The Go-Slower variable, Braking Calibrations in reference to G.O.A.T. Modes probably controls braking and torque vectoring (raising or lowering the amount of torque put into the wheels/axles) for certain situations without input needed.
If you’re new to these terms, you can find more information at www.automotivedictionary.org. Definitions out of the way, lets look at the modes.

• Modes in All Bronco Sports:
    • Normal - This is the base line for everyday driving and commuting. It’s also the default mode that is selected with each ignition cycle. This means that, regardless of what mode is selected when you turn off your Bronco Sport, Normal mode will be selected when the vehicle starts again. Ford describes Normal mode as the perfect balance of excitement, comfort, and convenience. We think that this is probably about getting as much giddy-up as you can while still maintaining competitive fuel economy. Obviously, that balance is going to be subjective but we’re hoping to see a tuning that gets you a little thrill when you’re getting up to speed on a highway ramp but that can also handle dirt and unimproved road surfaces comfortably.
    • Eco - It’s included in every trim of Bronco Sport and it’s for the responsible driver. It’s for the driver that doesn’t have to get there quickly, the one that feels a little twinge of guilt about not buying a hybrid but still wouldn’t be caught dead in one. Ford says that this mode helps deliver maximum fuel efficiency and helps driving range. Just how much the mode stretches your gas tank will probably be heavily dependent on the driver’s habits and road conditions. We’re sure testing will give us a range once the Sport is in independent tester’s hands. Currently, we imagine this being a great mode to swap to when you’re right on the line of making it out of the backroads to the gas station and need a little extra confidence.
    • Sport - Also, included in every trim, Sport mode is the opposite of Eco mode. Sometimes you need a little more exhaust rumble, livelier steering, and better acceleration. According to Ford, Sport mode increases throttle response, provides a sportier exhaust sound and steering feel, and quickens shifting. This is probably accomplished by the transmission holding gears longer than in other modes. Increasing the amount of time in lower gears before shifting should get you up to highway speeds faster and might making pulling out into tight spots in traffic easier.
    • Slippery - Snowy and similarly low-traction environments require a different set of optimizations to how the drivetrain functions from normal driving conditions. Slippery mode lowers throttle response and optimizes shifting for slippery surfaces, according to Ford. Sure to be a favorite in northern climes, Slippery mode should help on snowy commutes and icy outings.
    • Sand - The Sand mode is a bit more of a mystery. Ford commentary on the mode is a bit un-committal, saying, “May help get vehicle unstuck from deep snow or sand.” Like the other modes, this may impact throttle response and gear changes but we can’t confirm.
  • Badlands and First Edition Exclusive Modes
    • Mud/Ruts - Ford says Mud/Ruts engages 4x4 lock so that you can keep going even if you have a tire that can’t get traction. It does not engage the Rear Differential Lock. However, 4x4 lock can be selected independently of the GOAT modes. This seems to mean that when you select Mud/Ruts there’s something more that the system does than just engage the 4x4 Lock but we don’t have details on what those additional optimizations are.
    • Rock Crawl - Rock Crawl mode engages both 4x4 Lock and Rear Differential Lock and adjusts throttle and transmission response. Our guess is that those adjustments are centered around keeping as much torque as possible in the low range so you can get more power into a slower wheel turn that is less likely to lose traction. Again, both 4x4 Lock and Rear Differential Lock are selectable outside of the GOAT mode dial so if you don’t like the decisions that the system is making, it looks like you can select those and exert more control over what the vehicle is doing. Similar modes in other Ford trucks, like the F150 Tremor, change transmission, traction control, and other systems to improve the vehicle’s low-speed crawling capability.
That’s what we have on Bronco Sport’s G.O.A.T. Modes. It will be interesting to compare these with the Bronco G.O.A.T. Modes once we know more about them. How are you planning on using the G.O.A.T. Modes on your Bronco Sport? Also, where will you be using them?
Sponsored

Molson

Big Bend
First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 Big Bend BS; '13 Subaru Impreza
This is random question that I know no one has the answer to unless they’ve seen one of the new production Bronco Sports but will the dial actually say G.O.A.T modes or drive modes? I know the rest of the Ford models use drive modes and have similar modes and all of the preproduction BS’s have drive modes. So I am curious which dial the production will end up having.

Reactions: Jrl
First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco Sport
Ok now here is another question.
If you have a big bend or other trim option other then badlands.
In what modes is 4 wheel drive activated?

obviously all trim levels are 4x4, but what modes do we get 4x4?

I have the big bend, and it seems in sport mode I was getting 4x4. But could not tell.

Osco

Banned
Base
Banned
First Name
Marty
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Bronco Sport and 2004 Ford Escape AWD
Ok now here is another question.
If you have a big bend or other trim option other then badlands.
In what modes is 4 wheel drive activated?

obviously all trim levels are 4x4, but what modes do we get 4x4?

I have the big bend, and it seems in sport mode I was getting 4x4. But could not tell.
You are always in AWD with the RWD activating on demand, as needed.
With any wheel slip sensed all four get power so think of it like an automatic 4x4. This 'slip' is so minor you will not notice.

Last edited:

Osco

Banned
Base
Banned
First Name
Marty
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Bronco Sport and 2004 Ford Escape AWD
Things I've learned.
Normal drive mode:
I can control shift points with my foot/throttle just like I can in Sport mode.
But In sport I can forget about it and just drive. Shift points will be farther up the tach.
From past knowledge I think the sporty sound Sport mode offers is just a speaker sound to make us feel like the exhaust system sounds different.
There are no moving parts in my muffler to change the sound and mashing/Driving harder in Normal mode pushing the tach up farther than a given 'Sport' mode drive does not give me a sound change like Sport mode.
The Mustangs did this with the shaker sound systems speakers. Can't sell a 4 banger mustang that don't sound powerful.
BMW mounted a speaker way up in the dash to make the occupants think they had a more powerful car.
The Mustang does it through the cabin sound system..
I bet many won't believe me on that one. Look it up.
I was told by the dealer that sand mode was for deep sand and deep snow only and not to use it on my slippery gravel or on slippery roads, accelerated drive line wear could occur, this is in the owners manual.
From reading in this Forum it seems like nobody reads the manual. Especially those that really should, and thats most everybody. This IS a new model.
Slippery mode is fantastic. It works great for me.
As for Eco. I don't like it at all,
Makes my 1.5L feel like it needs a tune up and so far does absolutely nothing for my fuel economy, Prolly because I drive it harder.
Making a 3 cylinder run on two,,
Really Ford ? You stumped me on that one. It's the mode that reminds me of the awful turbo lag from back in the day. But again I cannot test Eco in city traffic...
I can bet it will help mpg's in solid city driving but I don't do that.
Ok I'm done...

Last edited:

Romac

Base
First Name
Roman
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco Sport, 2020 Ford Escape SE
What about if we’re in a model that does not have the mud mode but we’re in mud? Would that be best left to normal?

BamaBronco

Big Bend
First Name
TJ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Bronco Sport
What about if we’re in a model that does not have the mud mode but we’re in mud? Would that be best left to normal?
My vote is Slippery when in mud (if you have a non-BL trim without Mud mode). Slippery is a good all-around 4WD mode for mud, slushy snow/ice, loose gravel/rocks/dirt. I've tested Slippery mode in mud and loose gravel/rocks/dirt and it has performed admirably. Haven't used Sand mode yet. I've heard it's more for deep, soft sand and deep snow, maybe even deep mud.

dejones64

Big Bend
First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Lancer, BS BB
I have BS Big Bend. Haven't found it anywhere, but how do you shift into a GOAT mode please? Do you have to be in park, neutral, or stopped; shift on the fly? Thanks.

Geelloo90042

Badlands
First Name
Angelo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Bronco Sport-Badlands
I have BS Big Bend. Haven't found it anywhere, but how do you shift into a GOAT mode please? Do you have to be in park, neutral, or stopped; shift on the fly? Thanks.
Just turn the GOAT knob , and keep an eye on the dash in what mode your switching too. In your case I would not freak out if your switching to mud/ ruts or rock crawl while going 75mph. In my experience, I know that rotating 2 clicks to the right will get me in eco, from normal mode, and 3 clicks will get me to Sport mode from Normal. The first click engages the GOAT options, and the 2nd click gets me to ECO, and the 3rd click gets me to Sport mode. Hope I explained that well enough.

dejones64

Big Bend
First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Lancer, BS BB
Just turn the GOAT knob , and keep an eye on the dash in what mode your switching too. In your case I would not freak out if your switching to mud/ ruts or rock crawl while going 75mph. In my experience, I know that rotating 2 clicks to the right will get me in eco, from normal mode, and 3 clicks will get me to Sport mode from Normal. The first click engages the GOAT options, and the 2nd click gets me to ECO, and the 3rd click gets me to Sport mode. Hope I explained that well enough.
Thanks. Do I have to be in park or neutral or can I be moving along in drive?

moserp624

Outer Banks
First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Bronco Sport, Mazda CX-5
You can just do it while driving since it only changes computer setpoints it won't hurt anything to do while moving. The only reason you would need to be in park or neutral to change settings would be if it changed a mechanical feature.

Reklussloth

Base
First Name
Colton
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 bronco sport
Just be sure youre turning the right knob or it throws you into limp mode real quick - as demonstrated by my wonderful, beautiful, highly intelligent wife.

AndyMac204

Base
First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco Sport Base / 1988 Dodge Power Ram w150
Just be sure youre turning the right knob or it throws you into limp mode real quick - as demonstrated by my wonderful, beautiful, highly intelligent wife.
lol been there, done that. ?

max the dog

Badlands
First Name
warren
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
L8000, Excursion, F350, escape, BL, Hummer
Things I've learned.
Normal drive mode:
But In sport I can forget about it and just drive. Shift points will be farther up the tach.
From past knowledge I think the sporty sound Sport mode offers is just a speaker sound to make us feel like the exhaust system sounds different.
There are no moving parts in my muffler to change the sound and mashing/Driving harder in Normal mode pushing the tach up farther than a given 'Sport' mode drive does not give me a sound change like Sport mode.
The Mustangs did this with the shaker sound systems speakers. Can't sell a 4 banger mustang that don't sound powerful.
BMW mounted a speaker way up in the dash to make the occupants think they had a more powerful car.
I was told by the dealer that sand mode was for deep sand and deep snow only and not to use it on my slippery gravel or on slippery roads, accelerated drive line wear could occur, this is in the owners manual.
From reading in this Forum it seems like nobody reads the manual. Especially those that really should, and thats most everybody. This IS a new model.
Makes my 1.5L feel like it needs a tune up and so far does absolutely nothing for my fuel economy, Prolly because I drive it harder.
Really Ford ? You stumped me on that one. It's the mode that reminds me of the awful turbo lag from back in the day. But again I cannot test Eco in city traffic...
Ok I'm done...
From Me. to R.I., downhill ECO mode, 30.6mpg. Return trip in Normal 29.8mpg.

GaryS

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco Sport
Things I've learned.
Normal drive mode:
Ok I'm done...
I would like to see a federal law that says you cannot put a speaker in the dash, engine compartment or muffler to change the engine sound. Want to change the sound? Get a more powerful engine/louder muffler. Otherwise it's just fake BS. Maybe I'll get an e-bike and rig it to sound like a Harley and fool my friends.
Sponsored