What You don’t like about Bronco 2 doors, 4 doors, and sport!

Washburn

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2010 Ford Escape Limited AWD / 2005 BMW 330Ci ZHP / 2014 Mazda6 Touring
LOL - My '06 Ridgeline is up to 120ish-k on it, and it's starting to feel it. Dumped $4k into maintenance over the past 18 months.

There's that glory period up to 100k, and then everything needs changing...
Yep - I just dropped the Escape off to replace a bad wheel bearing. At 100k it will need new plugs, (I can do one side myself - no way i can do the other side), and VC gaskets and *probably* oil pan gasket... Otherwise it's pretty loaded and in very nice shape...
Perhaps I can give it to nephew as a graduation gift in May (READ: Reason to justify the Bronco Sport) and wait until Nov/Dec 2021 and get the 2022 Bronco Sport BL+BL. Will have to put miles on the garage queen 2005 Bimmer 330Ci until then I guess (currently at 63K)
Sponsored

Slickrock

Badlands
First Name
Slick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda Ridgeline
Yep - I just dropped the Escape off to replace a bad wheel bearing. At 100k it will need new plugs, (I can do one side myself - no way i can do the other side), and VC gaskets and *probably* oil pan gasket... Otherwise it's pretty loaded and in very nice shape...
Perhaps I can give it to nephew as a graduation gift in May (READ: Reason to justify the Bronco Sport) and wait until Nov/Dec 2021 and get the 2022 Bronco Sport BL+BL. Will have to put miles on the garage queen 2005 Bimmer 330Ci until then I guess (currently at 63K)
Yeah, on the Ridgeline it was the timing belt, which on a Honda means tearing apart half the engine, so you do plugs gaskets mounts radiator etc... so over $3k for all that.

Something to keep in mind if I do get a Passport.. sell it at ~90k.

And.. I've got an odd noise that is likely a wheel bearing slowly going.

Washburn

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2010 Ford Escape Limited AWD / 2005 BMW 330Ci ZHP / 2014 Mazda6 Touring
Does the 2.0L have a T-chain? Sure hope so.

Beach_Bum

First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Black Diamond Bronco
Only 83k? and solid? I'd put $3k in accessories on that and enjoy it for another 5 years.. :D
The only complaint that I have about my Jeep Liberty are the power window regulators. I believe it is a design defect, but there is a clip that maintains the mechanism on track. When the clip fails, the entire regulator unit needs to be replaced. Other than replacing the power window regulators over the years and regular maintenance, I haven't had any problems. It is a nice ride and being a southern vehicle, it has no rust. Again, I'm just bored with it after 17 years. I've been watching overland mods on the early Liberty, and I'm tempted to throw some cash at it. But if I can get a 4dr BL Cactus Grey with the White, then I'll keep the Liberty as a daily driver and the Bronco will be my beach toy.

Phillyman

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mb
From my understanding of the Sport here’s what I’d change or add for next year if I were Ford...

Sync4
Park assist (if not available this year)
Panoramic moonroof
Ventilated Seats
Hybrid engine option

erik1220

First Name
Erik
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 Chrysler 300S, '89 Toyota MR2, '09 Altima
-SYNC 4
-No Moonroof on the BL package. I refuse to pay extra for less utility with the moonroof. It seems especially unnecessary on the BL model as that is the one that will be used for roof top tents and carrying a ton of gear.
-Larger factory tire options (we know the Sport BL can handle 31" stock)
-An option for an additional 1-2 inch lift from the factory
-Steel wheels as an option
-A tow package that actually adds towing capacity. I would love to see 3000lbs of towing and some heavy duty transmission cooling made available
-2.3L option or a NA v6 (super longshot)
-Ventilated seats option

Excape

Outer Banks
First Name
Reg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Colorado
The ultimate Bronco Sport for me would be the BL+BL sans moonroof and add a manual transmission. For those that say a manual has no place in an SUV/crossover, I just want to say for some of us, it is part of driving. The manual in my former Escape, and in my current CX-5, contribute a lot to my enjoyment of the vehicle. There is a whole thread on the Bronco6G site discussing this.

JamesT

Badlands
First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GMC Canyon, Fiat Spider 124, Bronco Sport Badlands
I understand the dislike for not being able to delete moonroof, but BL+BL is still an easy choice for me.

For me 100 pounds is still more than enough gear to put on my roof.

As for a rooftop tent.. I would rather use my ground tent and have the upgraded speakers than have the 150 pound roof with rooftop tent and not have much weight left over for gear.

Something else to think about.. if you want the upgraded speakers and still want to sleep off the ground: put the rear seat down, get a rooftop tent mattress, get the ground tent that attaches to the rear opening and use it as your vestibule while sleeping inside the back the bronco sport. Now you have power and a/c inside your tent if you need it.
That’s what we are thinking too. Plus it is not such a long climb down when you have to go out in middle of night :)

gotta look for a mattress. But I suppose wait until we have the vehicle to see what interior dimensions are IRL

Rickycardo

Badlands
First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT, Thor Hurricane RV
So far my number 1 dislike is the Bronco Sport currently can't be flat towed or Tow dolleyed behind a motorhome. As a long time Ford owner I love the BS but my next vehicle will get towed behind our motorhome. The full size Bronco get too expensive when you option it out and at close to 5000# is too big for many RVs to tow.
If Ford intends the Jeep Cherokee to be the Bronco Sport's competition then they should make it towable.

erik1220

First Name
Erik
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 Chrysler 300S, '89 Toyota MR2, '09 Altima
So far my number 1 dislike is the Bronco Sport currently can't be flat towed or Tow dolleyed behind a motorhome. As a long time Ford owner I love the BS but my next vehicle will get towed behind our motorhome. The full size Bronco get too expensive when you option it out and at close to 5000# is too big for many RVs to tow.
If Ford intends the Jeep Cherokee to be the Bronco Sport's competition then they should make it towable.
This does seem like a big oversight especially if the Cherokee is flat towable. I don't have an RV but this seems like a nice feature.

Rickycardo

Badlands
First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT, Thor Hurricane RV
Yes, only the Cherokee Trailhawk is flat towable. It has a 2-speed transfer case that can be put into neutral. According to the eGuide posted on here, Ford says the BS cannot be flat towed or dolley towed.
I was hoping (still hoping actually) that the Badlands model with the GOAT system might be flat towed like the Trailhawk. I'm a Ford guy and I really don't want a Jeep. No offense to Jeep guys, just my tastes.

Econoline

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 BS BL Carbonized Gray, steelies+tow+360
I've got a few Bronco Sport dislikes to add. These may seem nitpicky but they are concerns.

I'm coming from a 2007 Escape AWD used primarily to haul bikes (2x on a hitch rack, 3x on a roof rack), or 2x kayaks on a roof rack. I also sleep in the back on occasion.

Bronco Sport dislikes:
  • The rear license plate location on the bumper, just above the hitch. Any hitch rack or cargo carrier will block that license plate, risking a ticket. This means I need to add a license plate bracket to my hitch rack and figure a way to easily move the license plate there when needed. The Escape has the license plate on the liftgate where it remains visible even with a rack. Looks like Ford moved it to the bumper to allow space on the liftgate for the "Bronco" logo.
  • Rear seats not folding down flat and level enough for comfortable sleeping. I hope I'm wrong on that but the rear seat bottoms need to fold forward or be removable to make a flat cargo floor and they appear not to on the BS.
  • The roof rack design. With my Escape and other models Ford has long offered a choice of a roof rack or roof "channels". The channels are just low profile rails (1/2" high) that replace the roof rack and accept Yakima towers designed just to fit those channels. Then the towers accept the full range of Yakima round crossbars and all Yakima mounts. When not in use towers/crossbars dismount from the channels and can be stored off the vehicle leaving a flat roof. The channel system is excellent for adjustability, load distribution, low profile, and general utility. I think Ford made a mistake when they broke compatibility with Yakima forcing the use of kludgy clamp-on crossbars.
  • The antenna location. Looks to be in the way when loading kayaks from the rear or using the Yakima ShowBoat kayak loader.
I'll likely still end up with a Bronco Sport as I do like the size and other features of the BL. But I am disappointed that Ford seems to have chosen styling over function in the areas noted above. This is a Sport Utility Vehicle, so why eliminate utility features that we had in the Escape?

chaseAbronco

Badlands
First Name
chase
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Bronco Sport
Bronco Sport dislikes:
  • The roof rack design. With my Escape and other models Ford has long offered a choice of a roof rack or roof "channels". The channels are just low profile rails (1/2" high) that replace the roof rack and accept Yakima towers designed just to fit those channels. Then the towers accept the full range of Yakima round crossbars and all Yakima mounts. When not in use towers/crossbars dismount from the channels and can be stored off the vehicle leaving a flat roof. The channel system is excellent for adjustability, load distribution, low profile, and general utility. I think Ford made a mistake when they broke compatibility with Yakima forcing the use of kludgy clamp-on crossbars.
  • The antenna location. Looks to be in the way when loading kayaks from the rear or using the Yakima ShowBoat kayak loader.
I wonder if the raised roof rails chosen allow more tie downs and don't get in the way of the moonroof once it's utilized with gear on top. Other than than, I can see your point. Same with antenna, as a kayak or a SUP down the line would make me take it off quite often (and those are the long road trips into remote areas...where it would be appreciated).

I'm still attracted to the off road capabilities and angles of a practical everyday vehicle. Still waiting to get behind the wheel.

Ultraspaz

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco Sport Badlands
My Bronco Sport dislikes are about the same as everyone but I may have a few others.

Hate the Sunroof. I've had two Ford sunroofs fail on me. I want my Badlands without.

I'm hoping for a winch capable bumper in the accessories. I do my adventuring solo so I need to be able to self recover.

Speaking of getting unstuck, why are there no tow hooks in the back. Can the receiver hitch support the weight of the vehicle like the front hooks? Maybe but I doubt it.. Looks like there may be an access cover to a screw in type tow clevis on some of the Sports. Right side of the rear bumper. Not sure if that's what it is though.

Give me at least 3000 lbs of towing capacity.

I want a self opening rear hatch. I would use that much more then a bottle opener.

Whats with the tiny rear wiper? Looks like an afterthought. Is there a washer sprayer for the rear window.? Dirt roads make it hard to see in the back..

Sync 4 please.

I'm hoping the Trail Rigs concept vehicle is an actual option. I want the 1 inch lift and the 31 inch tires.

Have an option for additional accessory switches like the big Bronco for extra lighting..

Shiskamba

Outer Banks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Ford Focus SE Hatch
Oooh a place to rant, haha. My turn:

Lack of individual selectable options - I get that bundles are more economical for Ford, but c'mon.
Sync-4, no hybrid available, excessive amount of exterior black plastic trims - give us options for body color panels! Accessory switches and active-X seating material (or vinyl like big brother) would be nice to have. And ambient lighting only available in one trim level.
Sponsored