Administrator
Staff member
First Name
Admin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford
Last year, Ford participated at the Bank of America Merrill Lynch 2019 Auto Summit, where Jim Baumbick (Ford Vice President, Enterprise Product Line Management) presented a slide with Ford's future plans for growth and vehicle expansion.

One slide entitled "Expanding Our Portfolio to Preferred Segments" shows how Ford is "aggressively re-entering the off-road adventure space that we helped create" and shows placeholder images for the Bronco and "Small Rugged Utility" which we know to be the Bronco Sport, aka Baby Bronco.

The chart shows a spectrum of Ford vehicles ranging from Urban to Rugged, with the Bronco and Baby Bronco grouped close together at the end of the Rugged spectrum, signaling at least on paper that Ford is planning the Bronco Sport to be vastly more rugged than the Escape, Explorer and other vehicles on the chart with the exception of the "big" Bronco.

It's also interesting to note that on the scale of Small to Large, the Bronco Sport is shown to be smaller than the new Escape and EcoSport while the BroncoBronco is shown to be sized smaller than the new Ford Edge.

Ford Bronco Sport 2021 Bronco Sport (Baby Bronco) Will Be Very Rugged, Says Ford Presentation 2021-Bronco-Sport-Rugged-Ford-Presentation-Bank-of-America-Merrill-Summit-2019
Sponsored

Last edited:

Mustang313

Outer Banks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT (s197)
Good find. Hopefully this product map's axes is drawn to scale and the Bronco and Baby Bronco placed accurately on it. I think the Bronco Sport is going to surprise people. Most people are probably expecting a Jeep Renegade but I think it'll be more capable, tougher looking and sell much better.

Grove_LA

Badlands
First Name
Colin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2010 F150
I feel like the slide doesn’t represent the size accurately. I hope they aren’t considerably smaller than the other models mentioned. I don't want a Mini Cooper countryman.

For some reason I’ve been real interested in the smaller bronco. I know ford isn’t going to skimp on the big guy and ever since the leaked pic of the orange baby one from the Ford event I’ve been intrigued. I’m all for a good medium sized suv with rugged capability with hopefully some solid fuel economy for some of us that don’t necessarily need the big bronco.

kingkong1

First Name
Cody
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1989 Bronco
I like the fact that the bronco is very rugged but it's to small. The full size bronco is about the size of the expedition

FirstOnRaceDay

First Name
Devin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2000 Mercury Grand Marquis, 2017 Honda Civic, 2019.5 Chevy Silverado
Last year, Ford participated at the Bank of America Merrill Lynch 2019 Auto Summit, where Jim Baumbick (Ford Vice President, Enterprise Product Line Management) presented a slide with Ford's future plans for growth and vehicle expansion.

One slide entitled "Expanding Our Portfolio to Preferred Segments" shows how Ford is "aggressively re-entering the off-road adventure space that we helped create" and shows placeholder images for the Bronco and "Small Rugged Utility" which we know to be the Bronco Sport, aka Baby Bronco.

The chart shows a spectrum of Ford vehicles ranging from Urban to Rugged, with the Bronco and Baby Bronco grouped close together at the end of the Rugged spectrum, signaling at least on paper that Ford is planning the Bronco Sport to be vastly more rugged than the Escape, Explorer and other vehicles on the chart with the exception of the "big" Bronco.

It's also interesting to note that on the scale of Small to Large, the Bronco Sport is shown to be smaller than the new Escape and EcoSport while the BroncoBronco is shown to be sized smaller than the new Ford Edge.

Ford Bronco Sport 2021 Bronco Sport (Baby Bronco) Will Be Very Rugged, Says Ford Presentation 2021-Bronco-Sport-Rugged-Ford-Presentation-Bank-of-America-Merrill-Summit-2019
this chart is sooooooo. Off.
Shift the bronco and sport left. Like the chart is tooo wide.

there is really no room for more excluding an Expedition Raptor. BUUUUUT a 90k+ Expedition would not sell well at all. To many other SUVs at that price. Ie Land Rover Range Rover.

The Pope

Badlands
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1977 F250/2007 Mercury Mariner/2014 Infiniti Q60x/2011 Kawasaki C14
this chart is sooooooo. Off.
Shift the bronco and sport left. Like the chart is tooo wide.
I'd say to shift it just a "little" to the left and to bump the SRU (Sport) up about a half a line (ever so slightly higher than the Escape, but still smaller than the On-Road Performance & Mustang Inspired BEV).

TheBroncoMan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 911 Turbo MT, 2018 Audi Q7
What is that on-road performance? The Mustang inspired BEV is the Mach E, so what is the on-road performance?

FirstOnRaceDay

First Name
Devin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
What is that on-road performance? The Mustang inspired BEV is the Mach E, so what is the on-road performance?
the GT trim That doesn’t come out till a year after the Mach E.

BroncoRevital

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Toyota Tacoma, past; 94 FB, 86 FB, 84 Bronco2
I really hope it is decently "rugged" and more importantly capable. It doesn't have to tackle boulders but at least be as good as a Subaru on the dirt. I'm hoping it competes with a Cherokee Trailhawk.

This is going to be a growing segment and Ford needs to enter this right if they are going to stay competitive with the other manufacturers. Also not taking value away from the BroncoBronco. I'm anxious to see how this project comes out. Ford can really build a competitive segment here with the small truck coming as well. Small yet formidable is key to success here.

FirstOnRaceDay

First Name
Devin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I really hope it is decently "rugged" and more importantly capable. It doesn't have to tackle boulders but at least be as good as a Subaru on the dirt. I'm hoping it competes with a Cherokee Trailhawk.

This is going to be a growing segment and Ford needs to enter this right if they are going to stay competitive with the other manufacturers. Also not taking value away from the BroncoBronco. I'm anxious to see how this project comes out. Ford can really build a competitive segment here with the small truck coming as well. Small yet formidable is key to success here.
I think they will do a good job with it! A 2.0 or 2.3 Ecoboost with that 9speed auto. And a good torque vectoring system that can really Handle the off road terrain will be a win.
Either way it’s going to sell like hot cakes

Motorpsychology

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 Ford Escape, '09 Mercury Mariner, '17 Suzuki V-Strom 650, '80 Kawasaki KZ750 (Bought new)
I hope Ford can get through all these launches ok. Four this year, and their track record for multiple launches is checkered.
@BroncoRevital is spot on: there is rumored to be an offroad-biased Rav4 coming, Subie and GM won't sit still, either. So it's got to be a segment leader, not a mall poser, right out of the gate. Pilot production is coming very soon, if not already started, All involved will be signing off shortly- here's hoping they didn't miss something.

FirstOnRaceDay

First Name
Devin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I hope Ford can get through all these launches ok. Four this year, and their track record for multiple launches is checkered.
@BroncoRevital is spot on: there is rumored to be an offroad-biased Rav4 coming, Subie and GM won't sit still, either. So it's got to be a segment leader, not a mall poser, right out of the gate. Pilot production is coming very soon, if not already started, All involved will be signing off shortly- here's hoping they didn't miss something.
Rumor HYBRID off road RAV4 to boot.
But yes very worried with all the new vehicles coming. Hopefully ford will do a good job.
Ranger went OK. Escape went good. Explorer was bad.
In the next couple of years we have
“Maverick”, Bronco, F150, Transit Connect, Courior, Fusion Xover, Bronco truck, E-F150, Ranger.
Busy time at ford. And they better nail all of that . Because the market is only going to get tighter

SHO4CY

First Name
Noah
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Ford F150 Screw Fx4 3.5 EB
So I've gotten wrapped up in the Baby Bronco, Bronco reveal. A couple items of note, the above portfolio surely suggests that there is a large SUV based on the F150 frame that is more "Rugged" that has yet to be made. This would be something along the lines of a full size Bronco.

Now that there is already a Baby Bronco (Maverick) and Bronco, what would a larger version end up being called? Scout, Bronco II, Prospector, Outlaw,.........?

Motorpsychology

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 Ford Escape, '09 Mercury Mariner, '17 Suzuki V-Strom 650, '80 Kawasaki KZ750 (Bought new)
So I've gotten wrapped up in the Baby Bronco, Bronco reveal. A couple items of note, the above portfolio surely suggests that there is a large SUV based on the F150 frame that is more "Rugged" that has yet to be made. This would be something along the lines of a full size Bronco.

Now that there is already a Baby Bronco (Maverick) and Bronco, what would a larger version end up being called? Scout, Bronco II, Prospector, Outlaw,.........?
M-117?
Ford Bronco Sport 2021 Bronco Sport (Baby Bronco) Will Be Very Rugged, Says Ford Presentation size0-army.mil-104496-2011-04-08-070416

FirstOnRaceDay

First Name
Devin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)

Larger version would just be an Expedition Raptor. Not a new vehicle all together
Sponsored