Winds of Change

Badlands
First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Bronco sport
I see Rival, JCR and Rally Innovations have skid plates. Rival and JCR do not protect the bumper cover like the Rally Innovations. Has anyone tried a combination of the Rally Innovations and one of the others?
Sponsored

Bluebaru

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 BS Badlands, 2019 VW GTI Rabbit ed. 03 JCW MCS
I have the HRG skid plate but I'll add that JCR has or is working on, an add on, front lower skid plate that will protect the bumper cover, that works with their engine skid.

OP
OP
Winds of Change

Winds of Change

Badlands
First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Bronco sport
I have the HRG skid plate but I'll add that JCR has or is working on, an add on, front lower skid plate that will protect the bumper cover, that works with their engine skid.
I missed that info. Thanks.

Blue oval fan

Big Bend
First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 Bronco Sport
For me the rally innovations isn't wide enough. I have seen pictures of damaged front bumpers and from what I recall the damage was done directly in front of the tires.

OP
OP
Winds of Change

Winds of Change

Badlands
First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Bronco sport
For me the rally innovations isn't wide enough. I have seen pictures of damaged front bumpers and from what I recall the damage was done directly in front of the tires.
I will have to go back and look at them. Is Rival or JCR any better? Maybe be like the hard core guys and just trim off as much as possible in front of the tires? Not sure thats a route a lot of people want to go down though.

Meanderthal

Badlands
First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'08 BMW R1200 GS Adv, '23 Norden Expedition
I will have to go back and look at them. Is Rival or JCR any better? Maybe be like the hard core guys and just trim off as much as possible in front of the tires? Not sure thats a route a lot of people want to go down though.
At that point I think you need a steel bumper, which is pixie dust for the BS. There isn’t any structure in front of the wheels, so having a skid plate there would mean you bend the skid plate and still damage the bumper.

OP
OP
Winds of Change

Winds of Change

Badlands
First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Bronco sport
At that point I think you need a steel bumper, which is pixie dust for the BS. There isn’t any structure in front of the wheels, so having a skid plate there would mean you bend the skid plate and still damage the bumper.
Yes I agree was just responding to the comment. However just out of curiosity I watched a video adding a steel bumper to a Cherokee trailhawk, and the structure is not all that different than the Bronco Sport. It replaces the bumper reinforcement bar that is there now. This is why I can not see why this is not being done yet for the BSBL. I even saw an older Escape with a winch setup. So I think there is more than can be done if the fabricators see money in it.

Bluebaru

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 BS Badlands, 2019 VW GTI Rabbit ed. 03 JCW MCS
I believe there is still room for improvement in the skid plate design by extending the sides to cover the bumper better but to do this right and be somewhat effective, the skid plate would have to be steel and it would involve adding one 1-3 additional bends and maybe some welding,, on each side, all of which add up to more $$ for the product and for shipping.
I think the JCR, plate combo, is of some benefit, not by improving coverage but by increasing clearance at the very front and improving the approach angle but the two piece design costs $638, though it does make oil changes easier. More bad news, they don't know if it will fit a Badlands, as it was designed for their lower trim, model. I'd guess it doesn't, if I'm remembering right, HRG was working on a different skid plate for lower trims, vs their Badlands Plate. Pic is JCR
Ford Bronco Sport Skid Plates 1674150650139

OP
OP
Winds of Change

Winds of Change

Badlands
First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Bronco sport
I haven't come across any skid plates that do what you are saying. The front of the wheel is usually kept open and clear for that approach and climb. I think what you are looking for is probably impractical. From what I've seen people would just remove the plastic bits. It is all a little give and take.

Meanderthal

Badlands
First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Yes I agree was just responding to the comment. However just out of curiosity I watched a video adding a steel bumper to a Cherokee trailhawk, and the structure is not all that different than the Bronco Sport. It replaces the bumper reinforcement bar that is there now. This is why I can not see why this is not being done yet for the BSBL. I even saw an older Escape with a winch setup. So I think there is more than can be done if the fabricators see money in it.
The issue is apparently ECU placement and Ford’s decision to not put much extra wire in the harness. To do the bumper, you have to move the ECU and there just isn’t much slack in the wiring. That was according to one vendor that did make one but would not sell it because of the work required to move the ECU. There have been other show builds that had steel bumpers but nobody has come to market with one. I’m guessing the others had similar issues.

69cuda340s

Badlands
First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.billsgarage.info
Vehicle(s)
"21 BS Badlands, '16 F150 Platinum FX4
It all can be done...this BS/BL has steel replacement front and rear bumpers
Ford Bronco Sport Skid Plates BS front
Been several sports out there with steel tube bumpers but no vendor has offered ones for sale yet. So at some point we may see them and if so they will sell....

Meanderthal

Badlands
First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
It all can be done...this BS/BL has steel replacement front and rear bumpers
Ford Bronco Sport Skid Plates BS front
I think if you watch that video, the woman driving the BS says that they are not going to offer that bumper for sale because of how hard it was to relocate the ECU.

OP
OP
Winds of Change

Winds of Change

Badlands
First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Bronco sport
I think if you watch that video, the woman driving the BS says that they are not going to offer that bumper for sale because of how hard it was to relocate the ECU.
I wonder if that company that made the headlight adapter could make a 2 foot extension for the ecm?
Sponsored