Badlands vs the other trims?

Adam CW

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco Sport Badlands
The biggest reason to opt for the Badlands version is the 2.0 Ecoboost, in my opinion.

It makes a difference in terms of power, enjoyment and comfort (no vibration like with the 1.5, etc).

We had a 2019 Escape with AWD, which is probably similar to the AWD system in non-Badlands trims, and it was excellent.

We put Blizzak DMV2 winter tires on it and it performed amazingly on snow and ice.
Sponsored

AmazingSieve

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Sport Badlands
I think you meant liquid-cooled power transfer unit (PTU). I don't know of any cars that use an air-cooled transmission.
I did yes…of course….thanks for clearing that up for everyone else…

Wolf256

Badlands
First Name
Jane
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Bronco Sport Atlas Blue
I chose Badlands over Outer Banks for 2 reasons. I wanted 17“ rims and a moonroof. At the time I ordered, getting a moonroof was only available on the BL.

Jill

Badlands
First Name
Gillian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Kodiak Brown Bronco Sport Badlands
I’d say the other big difference not mentioned already is the 4 vs the 3 cylinder (and associated power, and lower fuel economy)
I ordered a 21 Badlands for the simple reason that my Escape trade had the 2.0l engine. While my BL will never be driven out of the city, I wasn’t going backwards from a 2.0l to a 1.5l.

Jill

Badlands
First Name
Gillian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Kodiak Brown Bronco Sport Badlands
The biggest reason to opt for the Badlands version is the 2.0 Ecoboost, in my opinion.

It makes a difference in terms of power, enjoyment and comfort (no vibration like with the 1.5, etc).

We had a 2019 Escape with AWD, which is probably similar to the AWD system in non-Badlands trims, and it was excellent.

We put Blizzak DMV2 winter tires on it and it performed amazingly on snow and ice.
My Escape trade had the 2.0l engine so I chose Badlands for that reason alone.

Thelawgiver

Badlands
First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco Sport
All trims are 4WD capable, but I chose the BL for several reasons:
1) 4-cylinder turbo engine (just cannot wrap my mind around a 3-cyl)
2) Rides higher than the other trims
3) Two more GOAT modes and other extra off-road features
4) BL trim owners with the BL trims are the only ones invited to the Bronco Off-Roadeo events (unless they changed this policy)

Bonus: So far the BL has seemed to avoid any of the defect issues for the 3-cyl trims. Fingers Crossed!

JAD67428

Outer Banks
First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Bronco Sport. 1994 Ford Mustang GT.
All trims are 4WD capable, but I chose the BL for several reasons:
1) 4-cylinder turbo engine (just cannot wrap my mind around a 3-cyl)
2) Rides higher than the other trims
3) Two more GOAT modes and other extra off-road features
4) BL trim owners with the BL trims are the only ones invited to the Bronco Off-Roadeo events (unless they changed this policy)

Bonus: So far the BL has seemed to avoid any of the defect issues for the 3-cyl trims. Fingers Crossed!
What defect issues for the 3cyl. trims ???
because mine has just over 12000 miles and I have yet to have a problem.

omahafordowner

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Flex
Big Bend and Outerbanks are off road capable to the extent of any other vehicle with the advantages of short wheelbase and approach and descent angles. You can take many cars "off roading", but it's the wear and tear on certain components that the Badlands has beefed up to be closer to a real off road vehicle. Transmission, Suspension, bash plates and of course the fake locking diff.

RRD

Badlands
First Name
Toby
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco Sport Badlands - Area 51 "Bad Alien"
I purchased my OB in 21 and loved it for over a year. At the time I was looking for a BL and all the dealers wanted $10K over MSRP around here (and it is NOT worth $10K over MSRP) so went with the OB and the dealership ordered a 22 BL at the same time and told me they would call me when it came in to see if I still wanted it and if not they would just put it on their lot.

Ford Bronco Sport Badlands vs the other trims? IMG_0201.JPEG

14 Months later the dealership gives me a call and says the BL I ordered is in (I completely forgot I had ordered it) and to come down. I went in not thinking seriously I would move from the 21 to 22 but they gave me the numbers I wanted. I test drove the BL and I was surprised at the additional power it had, I had gotten so used to the 1.5L and keeping it in the power band that I nearly broke my neck on the test drive (and those that say the power is not significant really need to do a test drive).

So now I am a proud owner of "Bad Alien".. a 22 BL in Area 51 (In and out) and she is going to get spoiled.

Some things that made me trade were:
- 2.0L @ 251 HP
- "Locking" rear
- Higher clearance
- And to me, better ride quality (But I do a lot of dirt/unimproved road driving)

I still love the OB, I just love the BL's more.. you cannot go wrong on either trim.

Bad Alien
Ford Bronco Sport Badlands vs the other trims? IMG_0020.JPEG

69cuda340s

Badlands
First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.billsgarage.info
Vehicle(s)
"21 BS Badlands, '16 F150 Platinum FX4
I test drove the BL and I was surprised at the additional power it had, I had gotten so used to the 1.5L and keeping it in the power band that I nearly broke my neck on the test drive (and those that say the power is not significant really need to do a test drive).
Yeah the 2.0 in my Badlands is real strong a lot of power. It moves the vehicle so effortlessly. When I step down on pedal zero lag it just takes off.

sajohnson

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 Badlands ordered 12/17/2021 - Arrived 3/25/22
There are many features that are exclusive to the Badlands. The question for prospective buyers is, do they need/want them enough to pay the extra $? They range from minor to major:

* Sound deadening material in spare tire well.
* Full size spare wheel and tire.
* Under hood and interior sound insulation.
* LED fog lamps.
* Some beefed up suspension components ("off-road suspension").
* About 1" more ground clearance.
* Recovery hooks on the front.
* Bash (skid) plates.
* Rubberized flooring.
* Storage under rear seat.
* Paddle shifters for transmission.
* Front camera.
* More capable AWD system with clutches to 'lock' rear diff and additional GOAT modes.
* Liquid cooled PDU.
* Transmission fluid (ATF) cooler (that may be part of the tow package we got).
* 2.0L turbo engine with significantly more hp/torque (250/277 vs 181/190).

At the time we bought ours, the price difference between the BL and OB was about $700, so *for us* the BL was the way to go. There are no bad choices.

Will we use all of the capabilities of the BL? Probably not, but we do live on what passes for a mountain around here. We can get 2-3 feet of snow from 'nor'easter' storms, and our road has a 25% grade section with a 90 degree right at the base, and a 90* left halfway up. If that southern portion of the road is blocked, going north involves a long steep grade and a non-maintained dirt 2-track section.

Even so, the chance of us having to deal with that is slim. If the BL had been thousands of dollars more we would have passed, but for a few hundred (compared to the OB) it made sense.

Again, that was just our choice. The other trims are all good, and get better mileage. The OB has more electronic (vs mechanical) features than the BL, some people prefer that.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Winds of Change

Winds of Change

Badlands
First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Bronco sport
My first test drive was an Outerbanks then I ordered the Badlands. Today I finally found a badlands with premium package to actually drive. Sport mode is Fun lol. I didnt think the B&O needed speaker replacement. I went with the BL for the 2.0 and the added capabilities. I like the vehicle. Was I wrong to order a vehicle without driving it first? Maybe I thought. Not anymore. Now to wait for 01/02/2023 build week.

thekingprawn

Badlands
First Name
Dustin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco Sport Badlands
Was I wrong to order a vehicle without driving it first?
Nope. In this environment there's really no other option. I'm at 5 months with mine and have zero regrets. I still turn and look at it when I park. It's truly a Mary Poppins vehicle, perfect in every way.

69cuda340s

Badlands
First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.billsgarage.info
Vehicle(s)
"21 BS Badlands, '16 F150 Platinum FX4
Was I wrong to order a vehicle without driving it first?
I drove a dealer demo OB before I ordered my Badlands. We were mainly concerned about interior space which is why we went and looked the OB over. Another dealer near by had Badlands sports dealer demos we could have gone there and test drove but figured why bother we know we will like it so went ahead ordered without driving the Badlands version.
Sponsored